New stereo and Alarm - advice needed. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
New stereo and Alarm - advice needed.

so im looking to do new head unit with USB connect wifi and the ipod port
also looked at 4 infinity 6x8's with adjustable tweeters ( you can angle it different directions ) and last but not least a alarm they recommended Viper with remote start 30 second start delay with options of 10 minnute 24 minute and 1 hour run time.

is this alarm really gonna stop a thief? how easy is it bypassed?

How are the speakers? Infinity REF-8602CFX

they recommended this JVC Arsenal KD-A845BT for a head unit

im not really wanting the little pocket above i want to fill the whole space something like this but not for sure this model JVC KW-HDR81BT or JVC KW-R500

anyways id love some help and input what do you recommend and not recommend. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have been reading through pages and pages of threads for stereo stuff. I was a stereo buff in the 90's but now I just want a decent sound.

I am interested in reviews on the JVC double din detachable face unit with the usb/apple interface... It's fairly inexpensive and pushes 20watts RMS x 4 which has to be far better than the crappy stock unit...

As for speakers, I am leaning towards 5x7 Polk db, but read Focal, JL Audio and a few others work well also... The polk can be had for 65.00 shipped per pair and would do well for the 20watts RMS, 50w peak...

As for alarms, I don't know... My truck was just stolen a few weeks ago... I now know how to make sure that doesn't happen without the need for an alarm, but it wont keep thugs from stealing contents which is why I like the detach face idea...

Best of luck, man!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:30 PM

I have JL coaxials in my front doors, running of an Alpine iPod deck and to me it sounds fantastic.
I don't believe any stereo system is complete without at least an 8-10" sub.

As far as the alarm goes, I think the flashing blue LED stops more thieves than the alarm itself does.
But I installed an air horn and tied the solenoid to the alarm system, so that will scare the pi$$ out of anyone who tries.
Remote start makes my life though
Old 11-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

i was thinking possibly sub im gonna get speakers and head unit and alarm installed and they are gonna do all the sound deading material in the doors once i decide on a setup. i wanna hear how it sounds before i decide to add the sub.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 PM

JVC KW-AVX748 DVD Receiver with Bluetooth. Double Din. Great unit!! Have 4 gig's of music loaded on the USB, Bluetooth to the ipone. Only thing I don't like is the USB. It's a bit slow to load and navigate. May be because it's a lower/cheaper end USB.
1000W Kicker to the 12's and 500W Kicker to the 6 speakers.
Kids watch a movie, the people 8 cars up feel it. (no, I don't turn it up that loud when there in there) Also, when watching a DVD in the eX in the rear, the unit picks up the movie and plays as well. Sound is amazing while watching a movie or pluging in the USB with some racing vids directly off the GoPro.

As for alarm, i'm lucky. Have PATS. Also use Compustar CS6102-AS. Great range/great unit!! If the truck starts, the key fob alerts you.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

i was told the infinity gives you an extra inch of speaker so a 6x8 looks like a 7x9 or something cause they speaker goes all the way to the edge
Old 11-02-2013, 06:43 AM
...swamp trash...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I bought a viper 3203 off Amazon for like $100. My first alarm install, which was a semi fail LOL, I only got the door locks wired up. It's going in tomorrow to have the rest set up. What I can tell you that it is a nice unit for the price. Nice looking key fob with options that you can add like remote start and such and a fancy little receiver with a blinding flashing indicator light. Seems like a good bang for the buck, now if I can just get it to function correctly, LOL. A buddy of mine runs those speakers and they sound great, they will probably be what I will go with. I like my Pioneer Avic-D3 head unit (it's old I know), always favored Pioneer, looking to upgrade soon, considered a new App radio, also heard great things about the Chinese ones off Ebay. I am pretty simple, don't care about a big stereo system, just want good sound, ipod hook up, backup camera and be able to sync my phone when need be.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:26 AM

I can't help on the alarm side , but I just built a system around a jvc kW av61bt and I'm real happy with what the unit does . I wanted something for movie playback , Bt phone and music , pandora , sat radio , back up camera. Works great with my Ip5 no video playback on that but it does with my I pod or USB , so I'm fine with that . If I had a Ip 4 it would do vid playback and all options , but still works good with the 5 . Plenty of features and options to make the unit work and look the way you want. I would say spend a few extra $$$ and go double din DVD touch screen. It's well wort it!

I went with component 5 1/4 " and put the tweeter in the the black trim by the mirror , with a regular 2 way 5x7 in the rear and it sounds great with the single kicker 10" behind the rear seat!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-02-2013, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

A alarm will not stop a true thief. i had a alarm on my 06 convertible mustang.It had a interior motion sensor that even with the windows down, it would go off if you stick your arm in the car. All of this did no good when they PULLED the drivers away from the pillar, smashed the glass, opened the hood and cut the battery cable.No more siren. They wound up doing about $8,000 in damage(broken dash,cut harnesses,stereo and monitors gone)I got it fixed and sold it for my f250.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Premium Member

yeah i am wanting the alarm for remote start and to protect the new stereo but i dont want a flashy head unit cause i dont want someone to try to break in or someone actually succede with a break in
The Following User Says Thank You to MyTractorsSexy For This Useful Post:
TClev (01-12-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.