Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Speedo problematic, can I have another one programmed to match odo??

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  soccerman 
#1 ·
Like clockwork, my truck generates a new problem just about every week. This time its my speedometer. I'm hoping there is a fix for this (otherwise I'll consider a replacement). The needle sticks, sort of. Random example... If I am driving at 70mph and slow to 55mph it might stay pointed at 70mph (my SCT Livewire reads 55mph through the OBD2 port). Now I slow down to 40mph to exit the interstate and this time it drops speed with the truck. However, for the rest of the time it is calibrated at 15mph higher than the actual speed. Slow to a stop??? The needle points at 15mph. It does it randomly and to different degrees. Sometimes 5mph off and sometimes 50mph difference. If I turn the ignition off and wait, it will fall back and reset itself.

Is there a fix for this??? If not, I'll probably ebay/craigslist/ORG classifieds a speedometer or gauge assembly. My only concern is losing the truck's original mileage and hour readout. Can it be programmed?

#2 ·
There is a quick fix to reset your gauges. You will have three buttons on the right of your steering wheel. Hold down the two on the right for at least three secs before turning the key to the on position. Your gauges will go crazy for a few secs then it's done. I just sent my instrument cluster away to get fixed and will have it back on Monday. I had a similar issue. They specialize in repairing our gauges. Check out the site which is linked here, and give them a call for questions. They answered all my questions but now the test is to see if they fixed the problem. I can give an update next week.

#3 ·
Nice find! How did you come to find this? With winter weather knocking on my door, I'll probably wait a few months to send the cluster out (speedo fooks up maybe once or twice per month). I can only trust my Civic with winterforce tires for mild/moderate snows. Anyway, this makes me happy happy happy.

#4 ·
Found that place on this site about 3 years ago but have been to lazy to deal with it this now. Every winter when it gets cold it acts up more so then in the summer and drives me nuts till last week when I finally had some time to pull it out and send it. I had to be sure I didn't need my truck for a week. I can only hope it works better then when I sent it in.
Now since it is out, I'm getting ideas in my head like changing the gauge face or put LED lights in it. Doubt I will, just an idea.

#5 ·
So I got the cluster back and I've put the dash back together. Been driving it for a couple weeks now a seems to be working just fine. Looks like the fix worked but it's only been cold a few times and hoping for a good cold spell to be confirmed.

#6 ·
I take it your speedometer was malfunctioning in colder weather? I've driven my truck a few times in the 17-25 degree mornings here and had no issues then. Was the final cost $150? Ironically the speedometer in my little daily driver Civic is acting funny now, too. But I'll just ebay a speedo for 40 bucks for that hotrod.

#7 ·
Ya mainly colder weather. It did happen a few times over the years when it was hot out. The cost of the repair was $150 but the shipping was unreal. Paid $175 which broke down to $70 there using UPS and $105 back which they used FedEx plus duty which was another $20 because I'm in Canada. I had a few choice words for FedEx complaining why they were $45 more for the same 3 day service.
I have to tell myself it was worth it. hahaha otherwise I would beat myself up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.