Instrument Cluster - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Instrument Cluster

I have a couple questions about the stock instrument cluster.
For one, I've had my truck for a little over a year now and I suspect (due to what looks like junk yard markings) that my instrument cluster has been replaced at some point.
So, I have a couple questions.
One, is it worth it to have it reprogrammed? Just in case it wasn't when it was installed?
Two, is there a cheap way to have it reprogrammed, instead of going through the dealer?
And three, what the hell is up with the temperature gauge in these things? It seems to make it's way up to the middle of the gauge when warming up but doesn't move AT ALL from there, no matter what temperature. I've had my truck up to 218F (which according to Ford, fuel cutoff starts at 221F) and the temperature gauge had not move and was right in middle of the gauge displaying proper operating temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 08:15 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Not sure about having it reprogrammed but the gauges in the instrument cluster are really just fancy idiot lights. Fueling is NOT cut at 221... I believe its 250*f. I've had my truck at ECT 230 and EOT 240 but I was pulling an extremely heavy load up a steep grade for 15 miles while staying at 60 mph. How do you know that you where at 218? You must have a monitor or some sort.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Are you serious?
I've read a few websites that state that normal operating temperatures are 190-215F, "service service" is 215-220F and "alarm" is anything above 220F, where fuel cutoff starts at 221F. I might be completely wrong but that's just what I read.

Anyway, I have a monitoring program on my computer that I have been using on towing trips, as well as every day for the past week because I just finished doing quite a few odds and ends on my truck and I just want to ensure that everything is running smoothly.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Premium Member

Haha, I just read a couple threads on operating and overheating temperatures and I feel like an idiot now. Sorry. The website that I read from must have been complete bogus.

So, no one else to comment on this instrument cluster reprogram?
Old 10-16-2013, 03:09 AM
RollinEarly05...now

It's all good, what temps are you referring to anyway?
Old 10-16-2013, 05:36 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle1228 View Post
I have a couple questions about the stock instrument cluster.
For one, I've had my truck for a little over a year now and I suspect (due to what looks like junk yard markings) that my instrument cluster has been replaced at some point.
So, I have a couple questions.
One, is it worth it to have it reprogrammed? Just in case it wasn't when it was installed?
Two, is there a cheap way to have it reprogrammed, instead of going through the dealer?
And three, what the hell is up with the temperature gauge in these things? It seems to make it's way up to the middle of the gauge when warming up but doesn't move AT ALL from there, no matter what temperature. I've had my truck up to 218F (which according to Ford, fuel cutoff starts at 221F) and the temperature gauge had not move and was right in middle of the gauge displaying proper operating temperature.
Question 1.....do the gauges work? then no not really...

Question 2.....not unless you have a friend with the Ford software and a programmer

Question 3.....Early99 had ya covered....other than the boost gauge (if you're 05+) the rest of 'em are pretty much fancy idiot lights, just like almost every other vehicle on the road. A monitor system like you have or a set of aftermarket gauges are the only way to get a "true" reading of your temps....if you have a trans temp gauge, wait until you double check that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle1228 View Post
Haha, I just read a couple threads on operating and overheating temperatures and I feel like an idiot now. Sorry. The website that I read from must have been complete bogus.

So, no one else to comment on this instrument cluster reprogram?
He had ya covered from the start man
Old 10-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Thanks guys.
All of the gauges seem to working. None of them or dead and all of the warning lights are displayed upon start up.
I'm thinking about purchasing the Edge Evolution II.
This product displays all of the temperatures that I want to be able to read and has a couple stock tunes that I can use, if needed. I will keep it in stock most for 99% of the time considering this struck has not had the head gaskets or studs done (I assume)
Old 10-16-2013, 01:36 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Don't get the evolution... Your motor, trans and milage will hate you for it! For the same price you can get a CTS monitor, used SCT X3 or SF3 tuner and custom tunes which you WILL absolutely love. Contact Matt Robinson at gearhead automotive because I believe his SRL is just as safe as stock. You will actually run less boost but make about 120 more rwhp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.