Installed Viper 5704 (formally 5901) Alarm/RS/RKE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 AM
KCCO

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installed Viper 5704 (formally 5901) Alarm/RS/RKE

Well, after my truck got broken into last week and they stole my wallet, I decided I needed an alarm system. I wanted something with a 2-way remote so that I could be alerted if I wasn't able to hear or see my truck. I did a little research and decided to go with the Viper Model 5704. I also purchased a couple additional sensors; audio (glass break) sensor, as well as a digital tilt sensor to detect vehicle tilt in the event of somebody trying to tow your vehicle away, or jack it up and steel yours wheels!

I chose this model for a few reason. My truck did not have an alarm, so that was obvious. My truck also didn't have remote keyless entry, which was just plain unacceptable. And all my others vehicles have remote start, and I have grown fairly used to it so when this truck didn't have any modern day features, I knew this was the model for me!

I installed this thing myself and all in all, from the time I opened the box, to the time I called it complete, total working hours was probably 7-8 hours. It's super hot outside so I was kinda working slow and took my time. Plus there were a lot of hours spent researching this or that or trying to trouble shoot an issue.

The bulk of the install took 2 hours tops. It's dealing with the little stuff here and there that really screw with ya. The hardest part for me was finding the door trigger wires, and getting the stupid door locks to work. The door triggers weren't too difficult to find, just time consuming to locate the correct wires. I didn't want to use the dome supervision wire as i heard people had issues with false alarms and such.

The door locks were something else! The wires were super easy to find, but since my truck didn't come with keyless entry from the factory, I guess it uses what's called a "5-wire reverse polarity" or something to get the locks to operate. I couldn't just tap into the lock/unlock wires and call it good. I had to do a ton of research before I finally found a picture of exactly what I had to do. I ended up having to make a small harness, with two relays and connect a bunch of wires. I have no idea the reasoning for having to hook the relays and wires up the way I did, I just trusted the picture/diagram that somebody made, and hoped for the best! Sure enough, it worked perfect!

People also reported issue with the remote start using the factory tach wire. Originally I had an issue with this as well as the truck would run for 20 seconds and then shut down. All I did, was do the "tach learn" sequence and haven't had an issue since.

I couldn't be happier with the model that I went with and all the features are amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I paid to have mine put in and was glad I did

the Authorized seller was on the phone and fax with DEI a ton of times

it took 2 days for them to get it right ( this is the largest audio seller in AZ )

then I plugged in my bitwritter and fine tuned it and added tilt sensors to the tool box and tailgate along with a remote function to open the tool/ unlock the tailgate box with a push of the button

oh and a perimeter sensor

I wish I would have ponied up and bought a smart phone compatible Unit but I had this unit already from another truck so $$ won the fight LOL
Old 07-22-2013, 08:01 AM
KCCO

I know what you mean. It was a major PITA and there were a few times where I almost just said screw it and took it in (I know my wife wished I would have, lol). I just can't see paying somebody to do something that I can do, no matter how difficult. Plus, I think it almost contradicts itself to have somebody else install an alarm. It just seems that the less people that know exactly how an alarm is installed the better. I mean even if somebody else knows my particular system perfectly, and knows exactly what wire to cut to disarm it, I installed it myself, and may or may not have used some unconventional ways of doing some things to make it more difficult for somebody to mess with. Even if "X" wire needs cut to kill the whole thing, I am the only one who knows where that wire is and makes me feel better inside and more secure, idk, lol. I'm thinking about going and buying a few more tilt sensors as well. One for the rear slider, and for the toolbox. I like the idea of the auto lock/unlock on the toolbox, that's a neat feature I might do later on.

I've thought about a perimeter sensor too. I think I might be just a little paranoid after it got broke into and want all the protection I can get! haha.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:36 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've been doing a bit of research myself. I was reading about people running switches to prevent the vehicle from starting. They talked about how it was cheaper and can prevent the same thing...theft of the vehicle.

I may try this myself in the future. I have the OEM wiring diagrams so is that enough to do the job??
Old 07-23-2013, 04:14 PM
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault View Post
I've been doing a bit of research myself. I was reading about people running switches to prevent the vehicle from starting. They talked about how it was cheaper and can prevent the same thing...theft of the vehicle.

I may try this myself in the future. I have the OEM wiring diagrams so is that enough to do the job??
The OEM wiring diagrams will definitely help and you should be able to get it done with that. I always like to try and find real people on the internet who have done the install and posted the pictures for everybody to see. That way I know exactly what I am lookin for.

I thought about doing the hidden kill switch but decided against it because I wanted the 2 way pager and the other features(RS/RKE). I have a hidden siwtch in my '68 chevy and my '98 chevy, and they have served their purpose so far. It's definitely not a bad idea though if strapped for cash and want a fairly good theft deterrent.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:40 PM

I think the one thing that has stopped me from installing one is the factory key pad on the door. Its so convenient when I'm outside and remember I left something in the truck and not having to run inside for the keys and disarm the alarm. It sucks that they dont have one that will integrate all that mumbojumbo
Old 07-25-2013, 06:48 PM

oh I could ingrate the door pad into the alarm but i would rather not

my last truck was saved by My viper even though they broke into the handle and poped the lock ( that turned off the factory alarm like a Key would have

as soon as the door lock went to unlock the viper sounded

on this truck as soon as the code is input into the door the alarm sounds and since the pads can be manipulated by a thief I am ok with not using it when it's armed

on the flip side I can use the key pad to lock the whole truck when I run inside a stor and the family or dog is inside ( they would set off My viper)
Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 PM

I had a shop do my install to keep the DEI warranty in tack
Old 07-26-2013, 05:18 AM

How would you integrate the keypad? Factory arm/disarm wire? I've got a spare python 990 laying around and haven't had a use for it yet but if I can get it to work that would be sweet.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 PM

I also got the Viper 5704 on my last truck, planning on getting it on my current rig. I had it installed at Best Buy and couldn't have been happier with it. I had the hood tilt and shock sensors. I like the idea of adding sensors to the tailgate and for breaking glass. The alarm wound sound even when the truck was unlocked with the key which I liked. I did notice however that if I armed the system with the windows open I could reach in and open the door without sounding the alarm, which technically should not happen. I plan on asking the installer about that this time around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.