Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Alternator?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ijones 
#1 ·
OK.

I monitor the batt. voltage on my truck with the Edge Insight. I normally start the truck and have about 12 volts (goes as low as 11.6 and as high as 12.8) for the fist 30 sec. to a minute then it pops up to 14.6-14.8. I always assumed this was the glow plugs and ignored it because the FICM was always 47.5-48 the whole time.

SO.

Today I took off for lunch and it was at 11.5-11.7 for about a minute then bumped up to 14.6-15.1 while I was driving but when I stopped at a light and was idling my voltage was at 12.3 to 12.8. This continued the whole time I was driving low voltage at an idle and going a little high at speed. I have a pretty good idea that the Alt is going out.

Here are my questions.

Anyone know of anything besides the alt that would cause this?
What alt are people using to replace the factory alt. I see many like to bump up to a 140 amp. but what brand?

#5 ·
I'm not getting any lights yet but it's defiantly not charging like it used to. I don't want to wait to long and screw up the FICM :look:. I am going to load test the battery's as soon as I get a chance but they are less then 6 months old so I doubt they are the problem but will check anyway since It's easy. They want 100 bucks to test the alternator on the truck or will do it free if I pull it off. I may just have to pull it off and take it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.