factory brake control not very strong - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
factory brake control not very strong

Prior to my current 05 F250, I had an 03 Excursion. There was no factory brake control option. I used a Prodigy P@, that I was very happy with. I was expecting similar performance with the factory control, but have been pretty disappointed so far.

The first thing I noticed is that despite setting the gain to 10, the trailer brakes simply do not engage as strongly as with the P2. With the P2 you could get actual lock-up if you set the gain a little too high. While I do not need to actually lock them up, it is a good indicator of the limit of adhesion and possible braking force. No matter how the Ford controller is set, I am not getting as much braking force as I did with the P2.

The second thing is that the Ford controller does not appear to be able to compensate for hill braking. I believe they both use the same principle, ie inertial braking. I know the P2 see the forward inertia of the truck, and the braking effort and compensates to give smooth braking performance. This translates on hills to enhanced braking effort for the trailer. However the Ford unit does not. I had to use the manual plunger to stop the trailer several times where the P2 had simply compensated on the same drive.

My question is: Is there anything that can be done to improve the performance of the Ford controller?

In the alternative, is there a easy retro-fit of better controller into the existing slot in the dash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 03:34 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

I have to agree with you my brake controller stinks. I only pull a 4 quad trailer that weighs around 4500 lbs. I put it to 10 and it won't lock the brakes or anything close.

If I manually pull it over it will, it's like the controls are not strong enough on the scale ??
Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 AM

I miss the ability to adjust it on the Prodigy P2. I am wondering if there are settings in the computer that change how actively it engages.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Let me know if you find anything out. Maybe we are the only two guys with something wrong with our brake controllers. I have a aftermarket one in my wife's Tahoe and I can really crank on the brakes to the point where the trailer stops the Tahoe.
But not in my 8600lb truck no way I have to pretty much use the trucks brakes instead??

Maybe we do have a problem with our factory controllers....................it does not work like I think it should.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 PM

If I put mine around 7.5 - 8 it will stop my truck when I am pulling a 12,000 lbs load

Yall are aware that the factory brake is progressively rated? It does not just go to full power once the brakes are touched but it scales proportionally to the brake pedal position
Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham036 View Post
If I put mine around 7.5 - 8 it will stop my truck when I am pulling a 12,000 lbs load

Yall are aware that the factory brake is progressively rated? It does not just go to full power once the brakes are touched but it scales proportionally to the brake pedal position
Agreed, and my trailer brake controller works great. I was 24,600 gvwc and I could use the controller to bring the truck to a complete stop from 60 mph rather quickly. Might be because your old trailer brake controller wasn't progressive and if the gain was set at 10, it would apply full power once the brakes are applied? Even at 10 when you apply the brakes they shouldn't lock up the trailer until your on the truck brakes pretty hard! If it was setup to lock the trailer brakes than the trailer brakes is working harder than the truck brakes and will prematurely were out the trailer brakes. Gotta find that happy medium...

Last edited by RollinEarly99; 07-17-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 PM

not to thread jack but you guys are kinda on a subject i need to know more about. changed out my factory brake controller and the brake pressure sensor ,but still no signal sent to trailer .hooked up to buddies truck trailer brakes work fine !!! had a tbc code on dash for awhile then changed out controller but no luck!!! any help much appreciated !STROKEDIS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.