Door Ajar Problem - WD40 was no help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Door Ajar Problem - WD40 was no help

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my door ajar message flickering on and off almost constantly. I did plenty of searching and I can't seem to find anyone with my problem. I've used more than a fair share of WD40, PB Plaster, White Lithium... basically anything I can find in an aerosol can that isn't paint. No dice. Today I decided I would unplug each door one at a time to narrow it down (not just the sensor, the entire door). Well, I unplugged all 4 and the problem persists. I'm losing my mind here! Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.

2007 F-350 CC. I took a video yesterday. All doors were still plugged in, but the problem is the same. Doesn't matter if I'm parked, moving, or if the truck is off...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Where the door locks into the door jam, the bar sometimes gets loose and will allow the door to move. If you can see swirls around the washer it is moving and will need to be tightened down. Hope this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

I believe the switch needs to ground the line to clear, so unplugging the doors will not narrow it down IIRC.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wouldn't unplugging the doors result in the truck seeing either always open or always closed though? It still randomly flickers between the two.

Also, even when everything is plugged in, I can't make this happen. Pushing/pulling the doors doesn't do anything. I also pushed the latches closed with a screwdriver and wiggled the hell out of it, still nothing. Always happens completely on it's own.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:27 AM

I'm 98% sure that the door ajar comes from the circuit closing to ground. There is a switch in the latch that ties into the door ajar circuit. It's been a while now but I had to tie into it when I installed my Amp electric steps.

Try looking on their website for install wiring color codes for the year of your truck. Or if you can access the wiring on the truck through the "12Volt" website.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, I found the diagram on Amp's site. Looks like light green w/ yellow for the driver's door and pink w/ light blue for the other 3. Now, I'm fairly positive my problem isn't in the driver door because while the truck is off I never see the odometer come on unless I actually open the door. I did a bit of wire chasing and I believe the 3 pk/lb wires become 1 wire at the front driver's side. So, I decided to snip it. In theory, if there was a short between there and the door this would eliminate it. Aaaannndd my problem persists... Now I really don't know what to do.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:39 PM

Did you test the line for power ??
Then test it for continuity to ground. If it has continuity, strip the ends and touch ground/frame with both ends of the wire one at a time. If it is the home run to the signal it should simulate the door closed.
There is also a website 12volt I believe that has all kinds of wiring diagrams for pretty much everything. I know on DIYMA there is access to 12Volt for the wiring details. But most guys there use it for wiring up alarms and car stereo's etc. I believe the entire trucks wiring schematic is available too.

I think there is also a switch in the steering column that is also a part of the system for the key. Now that I think back I read a thread on FTE where a guy was having a similar issue and it was something around the ignition key under the column.
Try going onto that forum and do some searches, there are some pretty sharp guys over there. Bismic1 is a extremely sharp guy and a guy named blade1 has electrical diagrams for these trucks. Blade1 is into the electrical for whatever reason. Try to P/M him about your issue and see how you do.
Mark...
Old 07-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright, I managed to determine it's a dash cluster problem. Swapped clusters with my truck at work and the problem moved over. Guess I'm sending it out for repair for the second time in a month
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.