brandew batteries and alt... voltage question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 05:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
brandew batteries and alt... voltage question

so a few days ago my truck wouldn't start at friends house, found my batteries were at 8.8 volts and they were 5 yrs sold so figured they were just old... got 2 new batteries duralast 65, 850 cold crank amps and 1000 at 32 and above. then today truck barely started and then dash freaked out and died in middle of road... batteries at 4.5 volts.....so ripped out alt and had buddy tow me home and autozone tested the alt failed all 3 test... so got new one for like 130$ limited lifetime warranty 100amp reman. and i put the batteries pid on my edge cs insight and its only read 13/4 for about 5min and now it seems to peak at 12.6 and low 12.1... is my alt not working properly or did my new batteries just bite the dust from me not knowing about bad alt?

I dnt wanna kill my inject, or ficm i cant afford it after $400 in batteries and alt in 4 days.

also how can i test my alt at home? autzone ran the test and it got good on all 3 test.

thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 05:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

noticed they had a dual alt that said they were 135amps but the dealer said they didn't know if they would fit and auto stores locally didn't know or have any in stock is my reason for buying the 100amp reman,
Old 06-29-2013, 06:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Damage on the ficm and injectors could have already happened... I know the ficm is super sensitive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Yea One eye is right there, I started my truck the other day with a low battery and noticed it cranked over at 8.8 volts. Since that day my ficm has been going down to 45 volts at first after starting then creeps back to 48 volts. Not doing it all the time but I am sure I de soldered one of the resistors in the ficm, I think however lately been seeing 47 as it's lowest time will tell.
That being said take a look at your ficm power and see where it's at. My old OEM alt did exactly what you are seeing with that reman unit. OEM is 110 amps I think regardless they are underpowered. I put in a 190 amp alt from DC Power and there is a huge difference. The lowest I see it go is 13.4 so the truck has much more voltage to work with.
Keep a eye on ficm voltage and your cranking voltages should stay 10.6 and above for a good system.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A 100 amp alternator is not near big enough for our trucks IMO. I suggest upgrading your cables to at least 2/0, cleaning your grounds down to bare metal and using conductive grease on them. I had a 1/2 volt improvement just by upgrading my cables. My DC Power alternator stays between 12.6 and 12.8 even when I fire up my six Hella off-road 100 watt lights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
A 100 amp alternator is not near big enough for our trucks IMO. I suggest upgrading your cables to at least 2/0, cleaning your grounds down to bare metal and using conductive grease on them. I had a 1/2 volt improvement just by upgrading my cables. My DC Power alternator stays between 12.6 and 12.8 even when I fire up my six Hella off-road 100 watt lights.

Agreed,

140 amps is really the minimum these trucks should have.
Have heard that some are using the 6G frame 130 amp alt and that one may be fine because of the higher cutoff voltage regulator in it.
These cheesy ones the 6.0 comes with are just bad news. I did watch mine charging at 12.1 and 12.2 volts and that's not enough especially if you are using a AGM battery. It will never top it off.

Get a DC Power 185 amp alt and your problems will be over. Once you get it take back the alt you already purchased.
I think the DC Power alt is around $325.00
Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
Agreed,

140 amps is really the minimum these trucks should have.
Have heard that some are using the 6G frame 130 amp alt and that one may be fine because of the higher cutoff voltage regulator in it.
These cheesy ones the 6.0 comes with are just bad news. I did watch mine charging at 12.1 and 12.2 volts and that's not enough especially if you are using a AGM battery. It will never top it off.

Get a DC Power 185 amp alt and your problems will be over. Once you get it take back the alt you already purchased.
I think the DC Power alt is around $325.00
Agreed

Old 06-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

My FICM has been around 46-47.5 volts strong since i bought it like maybe 6 or so months ago. I think money has been a thing. after the headgaskets, oil cooler, egr delete, blue spring, gauges, exhaust,all sorts of pipes and dummys for hpop and many other parts just to get it running reliably... I replaced the batteries and now the volts have been around 13 while driving. so im praying it work. I just didn't have 325$ for a higher amp alt but Im kinda wishing i went with it anyways.

thanks for the help the starts got better within lats 2 days so have volts.

i gotta save up more now but you think the ficmrepair.com standard service would be good enough? I can't justify anymore major investments in my truck been over 5k so far inlast 6 months....
Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinOOO9 View Post
I just didn't have 325$ for a higher amp alt but Im kinda wishing i went with it anyways.
You what they say, "You can pay me little now or pay me a lot later." Until you can afford a higher amp alternator personally I'd use a tuner to set the idle up higher hoping it will help keep the volts up right after start up.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Island Dweller

Advance auto has a 140 amp alternator it is the top alternator for a two alternator setup it's plug and play for single alt truck.

sent from my Samsung S4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.