Adding reverse lights ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Adding reverse lights ?

Ok guys I have read almost every post in every category about adding reverse lights. I even went to a local 4x4 shop and they confused me more. I want to wire the lights into the reverse lights but also to my up fitter switch. I know I need a diode so I don't back feed the system but where do I put it. I can't find a diagram or anything. Someone please help. A quick sketch would be great even if its on a napkin lol. I'm thinking I need to put it between the light and where I splice into the reverse light harness. Is this correct or do I need two diodes? One for both systems.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Get yourself a continuous duty solenoid at a auto parts store. It will look a lot like the older Ford fender mount ones but these use less coil voltage to close the contacts.
They will have 2 terminal posts one in and one out.
One of those terminal posts go to your new lights.
Other terminal post goes to the main power wire in the trailer plug with a fuse of proper size. I used 55 watt lights and a 20 amp fuse IIRC.
Then you have a positive control terminal that you will connect to one of your reverse light hot wires.
And one other terminal for the ground.

When you put it in reverse the small lights will power the solenoid and on come the good lights. I love the lighting I now have they work great. Bought a pair at Auto Zone for $30.00 and the solenoid was $25.00. Well worth it.

I don't recommend the upfitter because its too easy to forget they are on and if your not backing up what's the use lol.
It can be done with a separate relay or C/D solenoid. Not familiar with using diodes that can move that amount of wattage.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:47 PM

Yeah I mainly want them to back up and already have them hooked up but I want a switch so when I'm hooking up a trailer or or changing a flat on the trailer etc etc.

And what is the solenoid for. Does it give the light more power

Old 06-16-2013, 07:06 PM

The solenoid if what takes the load. You can run a wire from the battery all the way back to your new lights but the only way you can power them is through another power supply. In other words the small wire now powering your reverse lights will not power anything with any size to it.
The solenoid gives you a switching point to power up using small amperage to enable it to happen. The trailer plugs main power line is plenty big enough for 55 watt lights.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 PM

A cont. duty solenoid is basically a relay with a 12volt control coil. any rated 12v relay will work fine, problem with most of them is they will not hold up to the exterior location. c/d solenoids are automotive based and will hold up under a truck. Waterproof.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:30 PM

Thanks for all the help. I have them wired to the trailer wiring harness right now cause i dont have any trailers that have reverse lights. so I will add the solenoid in tomorrow

Old 06-16-2013, 07:57 PM

I will draw you up a schematic shortly and post a link to the picture.... give me a few

EDIT:

The relay pictured and the numbers used are a standard 30A automotive relay you can pick up in the light section of any parts store.
The diode needs to placed in the direction such that it blocks electrical path going from the upfitter to the factory lights, install it backwards and the lights will only work when you flip your upfitter and it will also cause the factory back-up lights to illuminate. You can pick up a basic diode at radio shack for pennies, I recommend when you install the diode, do it close to the taillight and solder and heat shrink the connection for protection from the elements.
Your constant 12V can be picked up from the trailer plug harness, there should be a full time (any time the key is on, at least) 12V there you can use, and I recommend a fuse be placed between the constant 12V and the relay, just in case.

What you are doing is powering the lights from that constant 12V through the relay, all the back up lights and upfitter power is doing is picking up the coil inside the relay. That relay probably only draws tenths (0.16 or so) of an amp, so no worries of overloading the factory back up lights.

I hope this is clear and helps you out.

Last edited by 05_PSD_Erik; 06-16-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_PSD_Erik View Post
I will draw you up a schematic shortly and post a link to the picture.... give me a few
Thanks you i appreciate it a lot

Old 06-16-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_PSD_Erik View Post

EDIT:

The relay pictured and the numbers used are a standard 30A automotive relay you can pick up in the light section of any parts store.
The diode needs to placed in the direction such that it blocks electrical path going from the upfitter to the factory lights, install it backwards and the lights will only work when you flip your upfitter and it will also cause the factory back-up lights to illuminate. You can pick up a basic diode at radio shack for pennies, I recommend when you install the diode, do it close to the taillight and solder and heat shrink the connection for protection from the elements.
Your constant 12V can be picked up from the trailer plug harness, there should be a full time (any time the key is on, at least) 12V there you can use, and I recommend a fuse be placed between the constant 12V and the relay, just in case.

What you are doing is powering the lights from that constant 12V through the relay, all the back up lights and upfitter power is doing is picking up the coil inside the relay. That relay probably only draws tenths (0.16 or so) of an amp, so no worries of overloading the factory back up lights.

I hope this is clear and helps you out.

Thanks again it helps out a whole lot. One last question I have is does the factory up fitter switch already have 12v power to it? And if so do I need to run a constant 12v power to it. Don't want to beat a dead dog and am thankful for all the help so if constant 12v is needed just say yes lol
Old 06-17-2013, 10:17 AM

Yes look behind your glove box up high and you will see all the wires for the upfitter outputs. There is a little fuse panel there pull the lid and check it out.
They are all relay powered and there are of different amperages forget their ratings but the fuses are in there too and you will figure it out. You are not pulling many amps for the lights. The wires are just sitting there waiting for you to grab and go.

Yes good illustration, you have the typical relay there I still recommend a cont/duty solenoid here is a pic of mine. I mounted it to the frame at rear bumper and you can blast it with a pressure washer if you wish to.

No problem on the questions, let me know if you have anymore.
Mark.......
Attached Thumbnails
Adding reverse lights ?-truck-backup-lights-002.jpg   Adding reverse lights ?-truck-backup-lights-004.jpg   Adding reverse lights ?-truck-backup-lights-005.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.