Swapping for new FM Radio Antenna - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Swapping for new FM Radio Antenna

So I park my truck in a parking garage which it barely fits in. The only thing that hits is the FM radio antenna and its driving me nuts. I would like to replace it with something that is a bit shorter so it doesn't hit everything I pass in the garage.

I searched here for antennas and the only information I found were related to CB's. Has anyone done an antenna replacement and how did you like it. I am trying to find recommendations on brands since I know these trucks are new enough they probably haven't had antennas go bad by now. Tips on which manufacturers to go with and which to stay away from would be much appreciated. Maybe they are all created equal, I don't know.

I am looking for something that is only about 6" shorter than the stock antenna so it is just below the roof line.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 08:38 AM

I know I have had friends in the past cut their stock antenna down and replace the knob on top. You do lose a little reception but they were cutting theirs down to nubs. So you may want to try that route

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-06-2013, 08:42 AM

If you go to JC Whitney's website they have short antennas that are only like 18" long. They are polished aluminum or you can get black.
I purchased one of these in the past for the 04' SD that I had and it workes great. No loss in radio signal that I could tell at all. they are pretty inexpensive too. That is what i would recommend.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplote View Post
If you go to JC Whitney's website they have short antennas that are only like 18" long. They are polished aluminum or you can get black.
I purchased one of these in the past for the 04' SD that I had and it workes great. No loss in radio signal that I could tell at all. they are pretty inexpensive too. That is what i would recommend.
I had checked JCWhitney and that is what sparked my question. Non of the antennas had reviews so I didn't know whether they were decent or not. Maybe they are just so basic that anything will work.

I am intrigued by cutting down the stock one. I'll have to look into doing that as well.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:03 PM

I ended up finding a thread in a Chevy Colorado forum about cutting down the antenna. Everyone there seemed to have decent results, better the longer they kept the antenna, so I decided to go that route.

I pulled off the ball on the top and cut it down about 6" before super glueing the ball back on. I did that last Thursday and seem to have not lost any reception while getting rid of my clearance issues at the work garage.

I spray painted the tip before I put the antenna back on the truck to replace the paint that I rubbed off. I figured I would try this and if I didn't like the results I would buy one anyway. This saved me about $30 after shipping.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:03 AM

Good to know that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.