Any speaker gurus here? Looking for suggestions on speakers. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Any speaker gurus here? Looking for suggestions on speakers.

I have an 06CC with a pioneer avh-4500bt. I don't want to run an amp because of more cost plus more wires to run. So basically I want a few opinions from people that know what to pair with this headunit, not just recommendations because it's what you bought. So what can this headunit drive w.o an amp?

When using an amp don't you have to run l speaker wires to the amp then back to the speakers? That's what I don't wanna do. Hence no amp.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok anything Sony sucks. Kickers are nice. Good sound and bass. Pioneers are good. Good mids and highs. Anything other those brands I haven't used. Looking to get the kickers myself when I can pony up the money
And unless you are going for a competition system you don't really need an amp for door speakers only if you are going to run subs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-15-2013, 04:11 PM

Yeah running doors only.

I wonder if I need to get the same speakers in the rear as the front? I would get a speaker with a tweeter in the center. For the rear do I get the same or just a normal speaker w.o a tweeter?

Also what size to go with? Round or oval?

Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 PM
American and Proud

Should be the same size speaker front and rear they're going to be 5x7 or 6x8 depending on the manufacturer that you go with, the 5x7 and 6x8 is the exact same speaker size.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:47 PM

I meant rounds versus ovals. I'm guessing since I don't wanna push them with an amp, ovals might be better. Just not as clear as rounds when louder.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:53 PM
American and Proud

If you aren't looking to run a highly amplified system ovals will serve you just fine

Old 05-15-2013, 05:05 PM

Kicker sucks. So does Pioneer. (speaker-wise)

What you are looking for is called a coaxial speaker, a tweeter and woofer in one chassis. I recommend JL Audio, Boston Acoustics, Focal, or some of the other higher end speakers. Your low end will be seriously lacking even with upgraded speakers. Even a single 8" sub/amp combo can work wonders for the overall sound quality. A step further is a component setup with a separate woofer and tweeter, using either passive crossovers, or active if you have an amp that's capable or a separate active electronic crossover.

You head unit (assuming it's the avh-X4500bt) specs indicate a 50x4 internal amp. You can dig up the install kit which will allow you to essentially plug and play using your existing speaker wire. It also has internal crossovers, but I'm not sure if they are active on the internal amplifier.

Start here: http://www.crutchfield.com/m_750/Car...n.html?tp=1385

Last edited by ianstew; 05-15-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianstew View Post
Kicker sucks. So does Pioneer. (speaker-wise)

What you are looking for is called a coaxial speaker, a tweeter and woofer in one chassis. I recommend JL Audio, Boston Acoustics, Focal, or some of the other higher end speakers. Your low end will be seriously lacking even with upgraded speakers. Even a single 8" sub/amp combo can work wonders for the overall sound quality. A step further is a component setup with a separate woofer and tweeter, using either passive crossovers, or active if you have an amp that's capable or a separate active electronic crossover.

You head unit (assuming it's the avh-X4500bt) specs indicate a 50x4 internal amp. You can dig up the install kit which will allow you to essentially plug and play using your existing speaker wire. It also has internal crossovers, but I'm not sure if they are active on the internal amplifier.

Start here: Car Stereo Installation at Crutchfield.com
Best advice so far. Another option would be Hertz speakers.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Best advice so far. Another option would be Hertz speakers.

Never dealt with Hertz personally, but their parent company owns Audison too IIRC, so I'd bet that Hertz is top notch too.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:50 PM

I'm confused on what the install kit is in terms of the speakers? The head unit is already installed.

Would you recommend me to do an amp? Or components? I really don't wanna drill holes or cut holes. Maybe those sails would be the best. I can fiberglass something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.