No Map Lights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Map Lights

Hi, New to post, but a long time stalker. I pulled the trigger on a used 2006 F-350 6.0 CC 4x4 Lariat about a month ago. I did get a great deal on it, but knew it had some gremlins....

One that I am trying to figure out is that the map and vanity mirror lights don't work. I have been doing a bit of research, but any wiring diagrams or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I found:

There was no fuse in #41, so I figured maybe I would get lucky and they just stole the fuse for something else, but no as soon as I put a new 10a fuse it popped. I did a quick ohm test and found the one side (after fuse) was shorted to ground. Looking under the dash, there have been a few light and gauge add-ons as well as someone had a "Ford Gold" remote start installed. I think by the looks of the half-a$$ wiring that it was done at a dealer. I Figured since that circuit went to the cluster, to unplug the cluster and then check for the short at the fuse panel again. With the cluster unplugged, there was no short. So I figure this might rule out chaffing of a wire between the cluster and the panel. I figured I would plug the cluster back in, and check again. Still no short. So I turned the key on and there it was, as soon as I put the key in the "on" position, the short revealed itself.

So at this point I am thinking possibly an issue with the cluster (I sure hope not) or possibly something on the other side of the cluster in the accessory delay circuit like a vanity light or dome light wire is shorted and only when the cluster tries to flip the internal relay that the short makes it's way back to the fuse. Another interesting tid-bit it that the #306 relay is currently borrowing power on the Control side from another source. Basically someone piggy-backed off of another circuit so the radio and cluster would work. Does anyone know if the #41 fuse would be supplying power to the #306 relay?

Again, any help is much appreciated, I would like to get this sorted as shorts can lead to other problems. I'm not one for "patching" things up.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 PM

searching down shorts sucks!! only advice I can give is to trace back all the "modified" wires that the previouse owner installed accesories on, get a good wiring diagram and see which one leads into the map lights.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks Valhalla,

I am having a tough time finding a good wiring diagram that applies.

One other thing to note is that the door lights don't work either. I am hoping it is all linked.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I was able to track down some wiring diagrams. I found out that the power goes through the cluster to the map lights before the accessory delay relay and then out to the map lights.

I will do some testing tonight and post up the diagrams, and process I used so someone in the future will have reference.

Last edited by Blown F-150; 04-24-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Success

Success! I am very glad to report that my troubleshooting was correct and the issue was in the vanity light circuit.

I really wish others gave a crap about what they did. Turns out the connector for the passenger visor was just bare pins on the harness side... :dope: Some must have busted while doing the bodywork. I just taped it up for now, I think I have that connector somewhere to properly fix it.

Dash all apart.

What I found under the door sill hunting down the short

After

The cause of the short...

Here the remote start I pulled out

I will add the wiring diagrams in a bit.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wiring Diagrams

Please see attached for the wiring diagrams I used to help troubleshoot.
No Map Lights-ford-f350-2006-courtesy-lamps-1.jpg

No Map Lights-ford-f350-2006-courtesy-lamps-2.jpg

No Map Lights-ford-f350-2006-courtesy-lamps-3.jpg

No Map Lights-ford-f350-2006-instrument-cluster-1.jpg

No Map Lights-ford-f350-2006-instrument-cluster-2.jpg
Old 04-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Last two diagrams attached.No Map Lights-ford-f350-2006-instrument-lights-1.jpg

No Map Lights-ford-f350-2006-instrument-lights-2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.