blowing fuses. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
blowing fuses.

so when i installed my 55w HID fog lights all was well for the first week. after week one it blew the 10 fuse so whatever no biggie. replaced it. instantly blew the 2nd fuse as soon as i turned the lights on. so now i have popped in a 15A and it seems to be ok but is this ok for the wiring and such? this wont cause me any problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
blowing fuses.

There's a reason those fuses are there. I'm guilty myself of just upping the fuse at times but it doesn't fix the problem. I would run through and double check all the new wiring.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

i did and its all in perfect condition. i just figured maybe the new lights are just drawing alot more power so they need a bigger fuse. it just stumped me as to why the first fuse lasted a week and the 2nd lasted 10 seconds. its running fine on the 15 now though lol
Old 03-25-2013, 03:22 PM

Does the HID kit have an inline ballast? If it does then that may be where the problem is, take the kit back and get another one. I have seen small issues turn big very quickly by people upsizing a fuse.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

yes both bulbs have there own ballast
Old 03-27-2013, 02:47 PM

Then that is probably where the issue lies. I would definitely take the set back.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Mod Newbie

Mine did the same thing. The initial amp draw is just above the 10a fuse rating. I put in a 15a and haven't had one problem. Just leave the fuse in and don't worry about it or wire in a relay.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Best thing to do is use relays. They make relay kits for HIDs, or if you know how a relay works you can make it yourself, but basically you'll be taking power stright from the battery, and stock headlight power will be used to trigger the relays, make sure to use sufficient gauge wire from the battery, and fuse it no more that 8" from the battery, the closer the better.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 AM

Placing a relay or a bigger fuse would work, but if he has a bad or malfunctioning ballast he will need to replace it anyway. Take the kit back, get a new one, add a Bosch relay for protection.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM

HIDS draw a lot of in rush current when they first turn on. It is most likely this spike in amperage is just more than 10 amps on initial start-up. For this reason it is probably safe to leave to 15 amp fuse in. However the proper way to address this is to wire in a relay powered straight off the battery, grounded to a chassis ground, and just use the stock fog light switch/ trigger wire output as the activation source to arm the relay. I had problems with my HIDS until I wired mine up with a relay. Before mine were on a relay, at times only one light would turn on and I would have to turn them off and then turn them back on. Go with the relay and don't look back. I have installed numerous HID kits on many different kinds of vehicles. I have two kits on my truck now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.