iPad Mini installed cheap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 09:04 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
iPad Mini installed cheap

Just finished my project and thought Id share. My truck is a 2005 250 with factory stereo.

I wanted to do an iPad mini install into my truck since I use mine for most everything; music, reading, navigation, dashboss, etc.

Obviously if I had a ton of money Id probably take it down to one of the companies you see that do the complete modification of the dash and custom install it. I went a much cheaper and removable way.

I upgraded my stereo to the Sony GS600BT which is a single din unit that supports usb input and control of the head unit from the ipad as well as all the other normal things like Bluetooth cell, music, Pandora control, etc. Retail cost is about $250. From crutchfield I also included the steering wheel control adapter and satellite radio adapter. I routed the Ipad cord to come out next to the stereo.

Since I went from the double din to the single din, crutchfield sent the new bracket that includes the pocket below the stereo. I drilled two holes into the bottom side of this pocket and inserted a couple bolts and nuts to secure them and leave about of thread remaining.

Using some scrap 2 wide 1/8 aluminum I cut two sections. The first was about 4.5 and the second about 3.

I bent the longer one at a 90 degree angle at the last . This gave me a place to attach my spring. Picking up a cheap cabinet spring from lowes, I used this to attach the two pieces of aluminium. Once together I drilled my two holes on the bottom longer piece and the mounting hole for my ipad (ended up modifying it so thats why theres now 2 holes on the top part.) Painted black to stand out a little less.

Next I attached a ProClip Ipad mini mount (after removing all the swivel bracket stuff from the back) to the upper bracket. This mount is the most expensive part at about $80. Its nice though as it holds very well and the power cable snaps into it and makes for a powered stand. I did do a little dremeling on the mount to widen the area near the spring. My goal was to keep the ipad as low as possible and retain the ability to bend down completely flat.

This was attached to the two bolts already installed in the bottom tray.

Final version.

Allows use of the ipad for control of the head unit while still having access to it for the occasional thing or loading cds. Also is easy to remove with just two wing nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice mod. I need to do something like this with my ipad
Old 03-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That came out great.. Now how to mount my galaxy 10.1 inch tablet...
Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Everything work out?

Looks good
Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM

So far so good. I definitely appreciate your advice as I was contemplating the build. Maybe down the line I'll get mine fully integrated like yours but I dont know any shops around me that I'd trust for that level of custom work. If I find a cheap replacement dash I may teach myself how to lay fiberglass....

Theres a few quirks with the app remote software. I'm hoping that sony gets around to updating it here soon. I'd really like to be able to answer calls from the iPad, browse all the sirius channels, and modify the radio settings straight through the app.

For those that are not familiar with sony's "app remote," the software allows an IOS device (designed for iphone and upscaled on iPad) or android device to switch through the various modes and interact with certain apps on the device straight from the radio. Unlike others where the radio controls the phone, this allows 2 way where the phone can control the radio.

Android users actually have it better as they can use the app remote over bluetooth whereas IOS has to plug in via usb.

With the setup I have, my phone sends all calls and music if I want via bluetooth to the radio which is displayed on the iPad. The ipad does its thing and will send audio digitally through the cable to the stereo. Nice and clear when using Pandora, my own music, or watching movies.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:56 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
That is AWESOME!!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Very nice...I like the dash boss
Old 03-16-2013, 03:58 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by daehawc View Post
So far so good. I definitely appreciate your advice as I was contemplating the build. Maybe down the line I'll get mine fully integrated like yours but I dont know any shops around me that I'd trust for that level of custom work. If I find a cheap replacement dash I may teach myself how to lay fiberglass....

Theres a few quirks with the app remote software. I'm hoping that sony gets around to updating it here soon. I'd really like to be able to answer calls from the iPad, browse all the sirius channels, and modify the radio settings straight through the app.

For those that are not familiar with sony's "app remote," the software allows an IOS device (designed for iphone and upscaled on iPad) or android device to switch through the various modes and interact with certain apps on the device straight from the radio. Unlike others where the radio controls the phone, this allows 2 way where the phone can control the radio.

Android users actually have it better as they can use the app remote over bluetooth whereas IOS has to plug in via usb.

With the setup I have, my phone sends all calls and music if I want via bluetooth to the radio which is displayed on the iPad. The ipad does its thing and will send audio digitally through the cable to the stereo. Nice and clear when using Pandora, my own music, or watching movies.
When we took the setup to CES, we met with Sony and are now working with them on further development of the app. One that does not have to be upscaled, volume control on the iPad, and a few other things.

Side note, no fiberglass used on my dash! 99% wood, and a router, with a little bit of expoxy filler and the magnetic Bezel.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:42 AM

Thats awesome to hear. I was a little concerned when I downloaded the app and saw it was the first and only version from Nov. I cant wait for the new app to come out.

Also very cool to hear that your setup uses wood. That opens up some new possibilities I hadn't thought about....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.