06 F-350 constant draw - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 F-350 constant draw

Hello all. I'm having an electrical issue and this looked to be the best place to post about it. The other day, we went to move the dump truck and it wouldn't start. This has happened a few times so I figured it was time to see what was going on. So i put it on a charger for most of the day and got it into the shop.

Load tested both batteries and they tested good. Alternator is putting out 14.2 volts. Disconnected both batteries and tested for draw, and it has a 1.5 amp constant draw.....a bit too much I believe. Next i start pulling fuses to pin point further. #2 10A circuit that the Owners manual simply calls "Cluster" (in addition to fuse #35 for Instrument Cluster).

I have a Haynes manual covering 1999-2006 F-250 & 350 Super Duty, but cant find that particular fuse or the corresponding circuit. If anyone has some insight into this, I would greatly appreciate some guidance.

I could just put a battery tender on it and not worry about it, but I like a good electrical challenge Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've noticed that when the #2 fuse is pulled, it does NOT affect instrument cluster operation, although it did seem to idle a little rough. So I'm wondering what "cluster" the owners manual is talking about. Odd. Going to be a nice head scratcher.

Last edited by vadieselnoob; 03-14-2013 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fuse #2 shows on the schematics as being battery supply to the cluster. Doesn't appear to go anywhere else.

Be sure you have followed the battery drain test procedure (see page 14 of the attachment). Not all modules go to sleep right away.

Lee
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Charging Diags.pdf (347.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info. I will report back with what i find.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Re: 06 F-350 constant draw

Was it raining at all? I had same issue, found the windshield gasket was leaking and dripping down behind the fuse panel. Sealed the windshield and no more issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-20-2013, 04:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry about not replying sooner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ve7fet View Post
Fuse #2 shows on the schematics as being battery supply to the cluster. Doesn't appear to go anywhere else.

Be sure you have followed the battery drain test procedure (see page 14 of the attachment). Not all modules go to sleep right away.

Lee
Following the procedure, fuse 103 (ignition switch) is drawing .03-.14 amp and fuse 2 (cluster) is drawing .45 amp
Also....this is with the key out of the ignition switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno-Mow View Post
Was it raining at all? I had same issue, found the windshield gasket was leaking and dripping down behind the fuse panel. Sealed the windshield and no more issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I'm aware of the leaking windshield gasket problem, but I don't see any signs of it leaking. One of the first things i checked, just failed to mention that lol.

Last edited by vadieselnoob; 03-20-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also, unplugging the ignition switch connector has no effect on the 103 fuse circuit. It still shows a .12 amp draw. i'm more concerned about the 1/2 amp draw in the cluster circuit, so will be concentrating my efforts there.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:11 PM

Start by cleaning all your ground contacts and use battery saver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.