Who has HIDs from DDM here? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Who has HIDs from DDM here?

Im going to get a kit for both headlights and fog lights. What I was wondering is are the 55w that much brighter then the 35w? And what is the hi/low beam kits about? From what I remember hi and low beam on TRUE HID equipped cars, when switched to hi beam there is an actuator that pushed something to give it hi beams. It was still the same filament and output, it just shifted the beam pattern I think.. Should I get the hi and low beam setup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You can try Retro-Solutions...

They sell great HID kits and they are a site supporting vendor.

They give 10% discounts to .org members!

Click on the "Retro-Solutions" in my signature to take you to their site.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Who has HIDs from DDM here?

Yes the same filament it just moves a shade up out of the way to reveal the whole exposure of the bulb. This is called a projector set up, I and a few others have done the "hid projector retrofit" which utilizes an actual projector, which is how HIDs were to be designed to be used with- not in a reflector based headlight. View the link in my sig for a how to reading, or contact Cary at ct performance (site sponsor and vendor) who offers this service. Using the true hid projector set up is superior to stuffing hid bulbs in your halogen reflector headlights- which isn't how HIDs were designed to be used anyways.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-03-2013, 07:13 AM

I ordered a set of DDM HIDs for my Dad's 2011. Never again.... When I first received the kit, one of the bulbs was bad out of the box, after literally a month and a half, I received the replacement bulb. Now, less than a year after I installed them (I installed them properly with relays heat shrink, sodlered connections, and all that) the passenger side will just turn on and off at random while driving down the road.

They are cheap with a lifetime warranty for a reason.... My next order for his truck and mine will be placed through Retro-Solutions hands down!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 AM

Ive heard TONS of good about DDM. But the Retros are wayy more too. Im looking to get both fogs and headlights. So thats a couple hundred. I know modding isnt cheap at times, but DDM, well I havent heard much bad at all.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:25 AM

Really? Im still up in the air as of now. I may go silverstars for now. But that money could go towards the Retro kit... Those damn silverstars dont last and they are expensive for halogens..
Old 03-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I run DDM 55s in my work truck and my mustang and they work great. I had to replace one ballast on the truck that died but other then that I can't complain. I've even put them in our other two service vehicles ( 01 and 02 350s). As long as you adjust your headlights correctly they don't blind on coming drivers. As far as hi/lows, I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've used my high beams out of necessity.

Just make sure you ground them well and they should last you a good while like mine.

Last edited by MustangManiacJW; 03-03-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 AM

I've got them in my truck and and my last truck and I have no complaints....they work good and they seem to last awhile...I've had mine in my truck goin on two years and no problems....they do take a while to ship but I think it worth the wait....and I kno they might not be as nice as a retro fit, but that price scares the hell out of me....for 60ish buck I don't think u can beat ddm
Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Re: Who has HIDs from DDM here?

Loving my retros and even got the lifetime warranty transfered into my name with no issues. whoever represents them on here they do a great job with support.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:36 PM

A real HID projector utilizes a cut off shield that blocks the top part of the beam pattern. This is what gives the "step" look in the beam pattern to make sure the light closest to oncoming traffic is lower to reduce glare. This shield is moved out of the way of the beam to produce a high beam pattern.

Projectors use a convex lens with this cut off shield designed specifically for HID bulbs. Halogen lenses (like what's on our trucks) are designed for just that; halogen bulbs. This is what creates so much glare and reduced light output with plug and play HID bulbs. They might seem brighter, but you're actually losing light output.

With that said, a projector retrofit is the only real way to do it right. It's expensive and sometimes a pain in the ***, but you're not doing yourself or (oncoming traffic) any favors by slapping in some HID bulbs and hitting the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.