Reverse lights/Cargo lights in Headache rack - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reverse lights/Cargo lights in Headache rack

Hey guys long time reader, first time poster.

Been making a custom headache rack for what seems like ages, and its finally in the painting process. Finally lol. Anyway it's going to have 2oval grommet style led reverse lights, 2 oval grommet style led amber strobe lights, and 2 15" led bar brake and turn signal lights. I'm thinking of just wiring the reverse, brake light, and turn signal into my trailer plug (under the truck, by bumper). First question is does anyone see that as being a problem? My second and most important question is if I wire the reverse lights back to the reverse on my trailer plug, can I also split the wire and run it to my aux 3 upfitter switch to run it as cargo lights, or will it be backfeeding power? I hope this makes sense, I'm not the best with electric, so any help/answers would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Reverse lights/Cargo lights in Headache rack

There should be no issue with running off of you're trailer lights as you are using LEDs and they use nearly no power. as for the reverse light yes as well except that you're stock reverse lights will power on as well with your new lights. On my truck I have hella work lights in my bumper which turn on when ever my truck is put into reverse and they both turn on with the switch as well. If you can get a wiring diagram for the truck you can tap the wire under the dash with a switch and a additional power wire and you're stock reverse lights will be switchable as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-26-2013, 04:53 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the help. Not exactly sure what the last part means about putting in a switch and an extra power wire. But I'm pretty sure you answered my question. I'm going to splice the reverse led lights from the headache rack into the reverse wire for my trailer plug, and also split the power wire from the led reverse light (from the rack) and run it up to my upfitter switch. My goal for it is to have the led reverse lights (rack) light up when I'm in reverse, but also be able to flip my upfitter switch and turn on the led reverse lights (rack) so I can see in my bed and tool box as I work nights on the highways.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:11 AM

u can put a rectifier diode inline to prevent back feeding ..it will only let current flow in one direction
Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 AM

So I will back feed power?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:37 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Power travels in all directions.

When you put power to a wire, everything attached to that wire will receive power.

Like ZMANN said, if you use a diode to isolate separate components, those components should not receive the power.

A diode is a little "one way sign" in the electronic world.

Power will flow one way, but not back the other way.

Use the diode on the wire that you are receiving the power from your back-up lights.

This way, when you turn on your AUX switch, power will not feed to the back-up lights.

You can also configure a relay to do the same thing.

Good Luck!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 AM

Alright sounds good. I think for the sake of me not feeling like a moron I will just be ok with my stock reverse lights coming on when I flip the aux switch.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have a set of recon reverse lights mounted under my bumper wired to a switch and a tailgate bar wired to the 4 pin trailer adapter. then hooked aux1 to the reverse wire from behind the fuse box. reverse lights work like stock or i can flip the switch and the truck thinks its in reverse. reverse lights, light bar, back up camera, and backup sensors turn on. works great and didnt need anything extra to make it work
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cargo lights, headache rack, reverse lights, upfitter switches

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.