smart phone music to radio - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Cowgirl forever!!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
smart phone music to radio

Is there any app you can download to ur smart phone to play your music on your radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 07:02 PM

I do not believe so, but you could add an AUX port to your OEM head unit.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I originally had the factory radio w/ the tape deck and cd combo... I bought one of those continuous playing tapes w/ the wire that comes off of it. The wire has a 3.5 mm male connection that plugs into my Samsung Galaxy S phone. I turn on Pandora on my phone, then put the tape in and it works like a champ. I'm not sure if the iphone has the same 3.5 mm input or not.... Like the previous post, you can have a aux jack installed on your radio, or buy an aftermarket one w/ it already installed on it..... I currently have a Pioneer radio that has a usb and aux port, so I can use an iphone or an Android phone.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 AM

I'm sure I've seen FM radio transmitters that can be connected to iphones or androids or maybe both, that would then be picked up by the truck's radio by selecting the proper freq. This would be a poor transfer, but it would work. A much better solution is to add the aux plug by installing the FRD-04-AUX PIE adapter, which I've done, but now that I've done it, next time I would just junk the factory radio and buy an aftermarket that already had an aux, and HD Radio, and XM ready, all built in. That should be do-able for not much more than the cost of the PIE. Or you could go longer and add nav and all that extra stuff.
If you want to add the AUX input to the factory radio, there is also one meant for iPod/iPhones, that will charge and I think allow the radio to control the menus and such.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Cowgirl forever!!!

I found the fm radio transmitter in the store today and it worked pretty good. but i was hopeing i could with the aux on the factory radio and just have it do it like that
Old 02-20-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPowerstrokecowgirl View Post
I found the fm radio transmitter in the store today and it worked pretty good. but i was hopeing i could with the aux on the factory radio and just have it do it like that
yeah it can accept the PIE adapter which adds the AUX plug, there's nothing there already to allow it. It basically tricks the radio into thinking your phone is the factory rear set module.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Cowgirl forever!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoser View Post
yeah it can accept the PIE adapter which adds the AUX plug, there's nothing there already to allow it. It basically tricks the radio into thinking your phone is the factory rear set module.
where do u get that at?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Cowgirl forever!!!

Sorry this is very confusing
Old 02-20-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPowerstrokecowgirl View Post
Sorry this is very confusing
only until you do it once.
Amazon.com: frd04-aux: Electronics Amazon.com: frd04-aux: Electronics
The back of your factory radio has a plug for the factory rear entertainment system or six-disc changer, that plug is where this box (the PIE adapter) plugs into. The PIE adapter then has a pair (red and white, left and right) RCA jacks. Then you need the adapter cable that plugs into those, and has a socket for the 3.5mm (1/8") stereo mini-plug from your phone. They have that adapter cable that is made to look clean and nice in a small hole in the dash somewhere, or you can leave it dangling from under.
There's a similar arrangement if you want the iphone to charge, has their special plug instead of the 3.5mm.

The stuff you need is gonna run you in the neighborhood of $80. As I said, if I had it to do again, I'd just replace the factory radio with an aftermarket that already has the features I want.

The link I originally had there was supposed to take you to a search results page, but it apparently didn't work so the link now takes you directly to a particular PIE adapter with a plug, but that plug looks like it's the one for the iPhone, so don't buy that particular one. It should be relatively easy to find the one you want from there. I ended up buying the adapter cable separately on mine.

Here's what I bought
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Idahoser; 02-20-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: changed the link
Old 02-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Cowgirl forever!!!

Thank you I might just use those $20 dollar fm transmitter for a while because im not sure i want to try this lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.