Hidden Kill Switch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hidden Kill Switch

After several searches with only partial answers I just wired up a switch to cut off the ignition fuse. Its fuse 116, 30A. Placed Switch under dash in a hidden spot. Ran a line back through the fuse and back into the fuse block. Anyone see any problems with this setup? Seems to work fine so far.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Is this a theft preventative feature or a safety feature. I love adding switches to everything so this is right up my alley if I have a use for it.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm in the process of trying to think of a hidden kill switch myself.

The way you're installing it seams to be a good way to do so. Simple and effective.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:23 PM

Hidden Kill Switch

Subscribed... I was thinking of doing something similar. I usually just pull the whole fuse if in gone for a longer period of time. This would make that process way easier.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM

This was strictly for theft prevention, unfortunately these trucks are pretty high on the stolen vehicle list and they didn't get chipped keys until 08. I figure after spending 5 grand to bullet proof it i better hang onto it since insurance probably won't cover that.

I figure this doesn't cut any wires and can be put back to stock if I get a fancy alarm later on. I heated up the bottom of the fuse panel cover and pulled it out just a hair to allow room for the wires. The key is to make it hidden when the plastic cover under the steering column is removed because that's what the thieves go to bypass the ignition switch.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 AM

So how often are you going to be using the switch? If you run into wally world for 5 minutes? When parked overnight at your house or after arriving at work? I am all for giving the added security but I honestly think that the novelty of it would wear off for me after a week or so and I would lapse into my laziness and not use it very often. For long term use it would have to be in a very convenient place to access rather than having to monkey around under the dash to access it. That and the fact that I am an idiot and don't quite understand why bypassing this fuse would disable the truck anyway.

If the fuse is bypassed/blown power can't get to the ignition? Is this the key that is being bypassed or another mechanism? Perhaps its the signal to the engine to turn over? If the thief is hot wiring the truck aren't they going to bypass the ignition anyway?

Yes, I am a truck moron. Please excuse my ignorance.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:59 AM

Is the switch you are using rated for 30 amps?

If I were to do it, I would use a relay on that thing and a smaller hidden switch. How hard is it to find that right now? Would it take a would be thief very long to locate a relocated fuse?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
So how often are you going to be using the switch? If you run into wally world for 5 minutes? When parked overnight at your house or after arriving at work? I am all for giving the added security but I honestly think that the novelty of it would wear off for me after a week or so and I would lapse into my laziness and not use it very often. For long term use it would have to be in a very convenient place to access rather than having to monkey around under the dash to access it. That and the fact that I am an idiot and don't quite understand why bypassing this fuse would disable the truck anyway.

If the fuse is bypassed/blown power can't get to the ignition? Is this the key that is being bypassed or another mechanism? Perhaps its the signal to the engine to turn over? If the thief is hot wiring the truck aren't they going to bypass the ignition anyway?

Yes, I am a truck moron. Please excuse my ignorance.
Thieves do not typically "hot-wire" cars anymore, the crap on TV is all fake. They would still have to defeat the mechanical lock in the steering wheel, so the best way is to smash the cylinder and force it to turn. This engages the switch and defeats the steering wheel lock in one shot.

I'm not sure what that fuse bypasses, my guess is it powers one of the computers. A thief would have to undo this to get the truck running, after breaking the ignition switch. It all comes down to how good the thief is and how hidden the install is. I always cut into factory wires on something like this and tape everything into the harnesses so that it is not easy to find. A hidden switch that is easy to use is another story. A small switch is going to be low amp, so a relay will be needed (or relays, depending on the circuit that's being cut). You can use a magnetic switch, pressure switch, or micro-switch hidden somewhere. You could even use an existing switch to activate a relay.

Last edited by 67rstbkt; 01-23-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM

I have one wired the same way on my 05 now after they stole my 02 in Sept. I put in a hard place to find but easy for me to access. Its just a toggle switch. My local mechanic put it in, built a plate to mount the switch to in 30 min. A definate must have if you want a little peace of mind. It wont stop every thief of course. If the thief has plenty of time he can pull the fuse panel follow wires etc...But from what I have been told by local law enforcement, they look for the quick steals. If they jump in your truck, jam the ignition and it does nothing, 9 times out of 10 they are going to jump out and move on. They dont want to risk staying there and getting caught tracing wires and looking for where the switch might be.......
Old 01-23-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post

I figure I wont use it for most store parking lots for quick errands, mostly just for overnight and for shady areas. I think the key is to make it hidden enough not to be obvious but accessable enough for the owner to use without being a pain.

That fuse was labeled IGNITION. I noticed that the accessories power up but the digital odo/message center does not light up and nothing happens when you turn the key to ON. Doing it here will keep the truck from starting no matter where they hack into the ignition at the column.

Most thieves pull the panel from below the column to bypass the ignition switch so you want to make sure that you make any wiring or switch not visible when that panel is removed. They would find mine if they took the cover off the fuse panel but I did it that way to keep from hacking into the wiring somewhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.