Voltage drop on PowerPoint socket - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Voltage drop on PowerPoint socket

Hi guys how's everyone doing I am new to this forum but I hope to continue using this website.. anyways my big problem I'm having I have 2006 Ford F-350 King Ranch 4x4 6.0 V8 I am having problems using the PowerPoint Socket with my inverter my batteries have been tested and they have 100% charge I have a new alternator I do have a sound system on it I also have a capacitor (that comes with my sound system) that has a digital reading of the voyage its receiving the voltage on that shows 14.2v around that area but I have a power inverter that I try to use to charge my laptop with the inverter itself has a digital reader and that shows only 11.7v without anything connected and when I connect my laptop to it it will short out causing my inverter to stop functioning can anyone help with this thanks in advanced and hope to hear from you'll !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Terco86 View Post
Hi guys how's everyone doing I am new to this forum but I hope to continue using this website.. anyways my big problem I'm having I have 2006 Ford F-350 King Ranch 4x4 6.0 V8 I am having problems using the PowerPoint Socket with my inverter my batteries have been tested and they have 100% charge I have a new alternator I do have a sound system on it I also have a capacitor (that comes with my sound system) that has a digital reading of the voyage its receiving the voltage on that shows 14.2v around that area but I have a power inverter that I try to use to charge my laptop with the inverter itself has a digital reader and that shows only 11.7v without anything connected and when I connect my laptop to it it will short out causing my inverter to stop functioning can anyone help with this thanks in advanced and hope to hear from you'll !
The wiring to the power point is pretty thin... I wouldn't try running an inverter off of it.

As you have already experienced, because the wire is so small, when you try to pull any current, the resistance in the wire will cause a significant voltage drop, triggering the low voltage shutdown in your inverter (by the sounds of it).

The power point is intended for things like GPS, cell phone charger, MP3 player, etc.

You may have better results with trying to use the cigar lighter. Even then, it doesn't have much better current capacity.

Lee
Old 01-18-2013, 04:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for your reply but I actually forgot to mention I have a friend that has a 05 F-350 and I can use thr same inverter and my laptop and it chrges my laptop just fine and the voltage reader on my inverter while chraging my laptop reads 13.8v thats whats throwing me off guard is there a way to upgrade the wire to the PowerPoint?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Terco86 View Post
Thanks for your reply but I actually forgot to mention I have a friend that has a 05 F-350 and I can use thr same inverter and my laptop and it chrges my laptop just fine and the voltage reader on my inverter while chraging my laptop reads 13.8v thats whats throwing me off guard is there a way to upgrade the wire to the PowerPoint?
Well, in that case, you may want to look for corrosion inside the power point, and pull off the dash trim and check the connections to the back. You can also check the voltage while you are back there to see what it is.

Not much point in trying to upgrade the wiring to the power point, as it is all in the harness.

You do have some other options though.

If you have unused upfitter switches (one of the 30A ones), you could pick up and aftermarket lighter socket and wire that in to one of your upfitter switches. The wiring is easily accessible up by the fuse box (CJB). It is a convenient source of switched and fused power to use.

Otherwise, you could use one of the passthrough wires that come through the firewall and run power direct from the battery (through a fuse) in to the cab to power an aftermarket lighter socket.

That would let you use some heavier wire (like #12AWG or #10AWG) to reduce the voltage drop to power your inverter.

Lee
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I will try to do that this weekend I do have the upfitter switches and I will try to do that I will update when done thanks for the information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.