Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How to test for battery draw....

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  rentstdi 
#1 ·
Been having some issues with my batteries for a few weeks now. As long as I'm driving the truck on a regular basis it seems to do fine but if it sets for two or three days it seems the batteries are running down. I've had them tested two times and both times they test good. As for the alternator it's showing around 13 volts on my Edge CTS. So now I'm here looking for some help. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Just started to have the same issue. Checked the batteries and both were fine and less then a year old. Put a charger on them last night but didn't drive it today. Will see how it is tomorrow. I was told it's because of the cold weather lately and not plugging in the block heater.

#3 ·
i have the same issue. But its totally intermitent. I have pulled all fuses and relays and am still drawing .070-.075 but only when it draws. It may go 2,3,4 or 5 times of starting and stopping before it does it again. This one has me stumped. I checked the alternator to. Does any expert have any more advice or what might be live on the truck all the time that I might could check? Any help is well appreciated.

#5 ·
What are your guys ficm voltage???

If you are having cold start issues and have plenty of battery left i would check for the 48 volts... .07 amp draw isn't very much to worry about. Think about all those little electronics that always need power( radio memory)

Also even after the glow plug light turns off wait a little bit till you crank10-15 seconds it helps on those really cold days...

#10 ·
Sorry to keep asking you questions, I just hate it when people vehicles don't work like they should...

What is the voltage post to post on your battery?
Do you have a voltage reading from post to the same post's clamp? That's to check for a dirty connection. It should be zero
Do you have any voltage from any terminals to the plastic case? If yes, even 1 voltdc, clean the whole top of your battery with a mix of baking soda and water. It will fizz, then rinse with regular water.

Hope this helps
Rent

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.