Amps schmamps-watts up with alternators - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Amps schmamps-watts up with alternators

Hoping members can help me with my current, get it??, problem-which alternator maker to go with for a replacement; so here goes.

The sole failure to our fantastic '07 6.0 has been the alternator, put in a reman early last year-was told by several dealers that no new alternator was available from Ford-and now it has begun making a droning sound so I want to replace it with a higher end unit-rv application with an additional two coach batteries, so I don't need a crazy amount of current production, but I do want as high quality as available.

The most expensive seem to be from Ohio generator, but a Company that sells 500-600 dollar alternators certainly should have it together when it comes to their web site -so they are out.

QuickStart: two things about the Company-just who are they, the info on the website state that product ships from 'various' warehouses around the Country: red flag : thinking maybe that QS is a name rather than a maker plus on the numerous occasions I have called no one has answered the phone : bigger red flag : don't think that they give a hoot about business (or is it red flag number one again?)

DC: so far they seem to be the most serious about business, even with the homemade assembly benches pictured on their website (2x4's with carriage bolts-can't help but to wonder what else they have cobbed together) but at least questions are answered AND you can get your version polished, painted or anodized depending on model-often cited lead times are a non issue as in a few days the coach will be parked for the remainder of the winter.

So in short are my concerns about QuickStart shared by anyone else?? and is there another brand that I should look at-overall quality more important than cost-to a point that is.

Forgot, or is there the definitive thread on the above that someone can point me to???

PM's welcomed if you have the real dirt on any company and don't want to post it.....

Last edited by E450psd; 12-27-2012 at 05:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Pretty happy with my DC Power Engineering 190 amp unit. It charges my Two Optima yellow-tops well, and thats a good thing with my 3 radios and lights going. I had to slightly modify the wiring into the factory harness, but they walked me through that Minor change over the phone. It is not their top-of-the-line model, but is much more robust than the original alternator. Bolted into place sweet and clean.
DVC
Jon
Old 12-31-2012, 05:27 AM

Jon, thanks for the reply, am leaning towards DC myself; did you have any observations about the unit when you got it into your hands-when you spun the thing did you think it was exceptionally smooth(er) than the one you replaced or no real difference, just how did it phyically look-castings clean?, connections solid???

And did you notice the loss of the additional hp needed to make the extra amps over the oem - according to DC its one horse for each additional 25a??
Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 AM
Premium Member

The DC Power Engineering unit arrived well packaged and looked great. It did spin smooth, and felt like the bearings and overall build were much improved over stock. My truck rolls at over 16,000 lbs., so a One or Two hp deficit is not felt (by me). When i first installed and started it, my dash lights would come on, and go off after 20-30 seconds. read 15.2-15.7 volts!
I called the DC help line, and they told me to cut the yellow wire on their harness where it plugs into my factory plug. That removed the bias voltage to my system, and dropped the overall voltage to a max of 14.2. Gauge/dash lights are happy, and the unit functions as advertised. I also upgraded the power leads from their alternator to my battery and frame to 1/0 oxygen-free cables. They also look really nice. As stated before, this is not their 300-400 amp model. The body looks similar to stock, but it has a billet pulley with their company name on it. Having dealt with electric motors for over 30 years, this looks and feels like a very well built product, and I would recommend it. I have heard knocks on their customer service, but they came through well for me. Perhaps being 3 hours north of my location had something to do with it?
Anyway, whatever you decide, I wish you and yours a Happy New Year and many happy miles with your rig!
DVC
Jon
Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

DC Power makes some of the most highly regarded alternators available. I pulled the trigger on one of their units this past summer and was suitably impressed. To date, I've had two OEM units, one from alternatorparts.com that lasted 2 years, and one from DB Electric that was bad right out of the box. Time will tell if the DC Power has a longer life, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:42 AM

Jon, snake-thank you for the info, did you get the large or small case alternator-as I understand things by looking at the end of the unit each of the three 'ribs' will have holes; two holes are the large case, four holes are the small case.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 AM

I think the one I bought is considered a large case. It's the 300a SPX model. Bolted right on with no modifications needed.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 AM
Premium Member

Hi Snake. Congratulations on your new 300SPX! mine has Three holes in the ribs, but the case seems to match the stock dimensions. It, too, bolted right up where it belongs.
Happy Charging!
Jon
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 AM

Thanks man! It's a nice piece of hardware for sure. Looks and works great!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:09 AM

tnks for the info much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.