OEM 6 Disc Navigation Swap Write-up! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OEM 6 Disc Navigation Swap Write-up!

Well, I finally finished swapping my 6 disc changer to the OEM navi unit, tried to document my install for whomever might try to do this themselves in their 05-07!

First off, there are many many many variations of these navigation units. A quick ebay search of them will show tons of different part numbers for identical looking units. This is all due to the units programming... These are capable of being set up many ways to use things like the SAT radio, line in, rear seat DVD, the audiophile package with the amp and sub woofer, even displaying the functions of some of Ford's hybrid vehicles. Getting one that is set up how you want is just going to be luck of the draw, as I don't know of anywhere to determine how each part number was set up. Also note, from my understanding, the units with chrome trimmed knobs are sync based and cannot be made to work in our pickups, nor can the hard drive based ones. I'm not 100% sure on this as I'm sure if there's a will there's a way, but its going to be quite an undertaking.

The unit I purchased was from a job 1 2008 Super Duty, I thought this would be close to what I needed, turned out that wasn't the case. What I found was the 08+ Super Duty's use the CAN-BUS system to control the radio whereas our pickups do not. With the radio installed it would give me the Ford logo then power off. I had to package the radio up and send it in to United Radio of New York to have it reprogrammed. They configured it so it no longer needed the CAN-BUS to work. Again, finding one that isn't like this will be luck of the draw.

First step is to remove the dash, its just clipped in. Put the gear selector in 1st and just give the dash a yank then work around it until all the clips come loose. Then unplug all the electrical connectors so you can move the dash out of the way. Take the 4 screws securing the radio out and slide it out, unplug its harness and antenna plug and move it out of the way.

Next I installed the GPS antenna. I purchased one from Tousley for a 2008 Super Duty. I couldn't find the bracket on the dash frame like an 08 has so I modified the clip and double sided taped it to the top of the A/C vent duct behind the instrument cluster. I forgot to grab a picture before I put the cluster back in, but you can see the bar code sticker on the antenna in these pictures. You can mount it anywhere as long as it doesn't have metal between it and the sky. Plastic and glass don't affect it.

Next is the brackets on the radio. I used the ones from the stock radio in my pickup, I had to drill some new holes to make them line up on the nav unit. Here is the bracket on the original radio (left) and modded to fit in the same position on the nav unit (right). You can also see the antenna adapter needed, which didn't work out in that spot... The adapter is a Chrysler Reverse Antenna Adapter, a few place make them.

Here's a comparison on the back, nav unit has 3 plugs. These Super Duty's only use the large 24 pin connector. The 16 pin plug on both is for the CAN-BUS stuff on things so equipped, the small plug on the nav unit is for models with the amp and sub woofer.

Now you're ready to mount the unit, there wasn't enough room for where I had the antenna adapter, so I had to move it to the underside like so.

Plug in the 24 pin connector, the GPS antenna, and radio antenna, replace the 4 mounting screws and turn the key!!!

I played around with mine to make sure everything was good, and it was! for the most part. I am missing the navigation DVD so no mapping on it yet, and the steering wheel controls aren't 100%. The volume works perfectly, but the mode button is inoperable and the next button now acts as a previous button. Liveable, but I will be calling United Radio to see if there is a remedy for this. I fear it may be a hardware problem, the earlier steering wheel controls not being 100% compatible with these units. We will see though.

And the dash back assembled, just like the factory did it! Just a note, before putting it back together I cleaned all the dust out from the vents and behind the dash panel, good opportunity to do so!

There it is, my advice is to just plan on having it programmed. They charge 75 bucks plus the shipping there and back, so keep that in mind when buying a radio! Programming also allows you to set it up just like you want, if you want to add a line in or plan on adding the OEM satellite radio box they can enable all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Nice write up man and good job! Looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-12-2012, 10:10 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Dude that radio just looks like it was meant to be! I'm glad everything worked out for ya!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
No doubt good job!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Emergency Services

Nice write up, looks great! Btw your check engine lights on LOL

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Emergency Services

so this is basically plug and play? you didnt have to motify the harness?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbybc12 View Post
Nice write up, looks great! Btw your check engine lights on LOL

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Haha, I figured someone would mention that, I had the key on engine off, had I started it or was in accessory it would have went out! The check engine light is a pet peeve of mine and always make sure it's in check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvestingInternationally View Post
so this is basically plug and play? you didnt have to motify the harness?
Yup, basically plug and play, besides the programming, brackets, and antenna adapter, the radio harness is identical. The radios are also the exact same dimensionally.

Thanks for the comments!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Emergency Services

what programming had to be done to the radio if u dont mind me asking
Old 12-14-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvestingInternationally View Post
what programming had to be done to the radio if u dont mind me asking
Not at all! That was outlined in my initial post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihv800 View Post
First off, there are many many many variations of these navigation units. A quick ebay search of them will show tons of different part numbers for identical looking units. This is all due to the units programming... These are capable of being set up many ways to use things like the SAT radio, line in, rear seat DVD, the audiophile package with the amp and sub woofer, even displaying the functions of some of Ford's hybrid vehicles. Getting one that is set up how you want is just going to be luck of the draw, as I don't know of anywhere to determine how each part number was set up. Also note, from my understanding, the units with chrome trimmed knobs are sync based and cannot be made to work in our pickups, nor can the hard drive based ones. I'm not 100% sure on this as I'm sure if there's a will there's a way, but its going to be quite an undertaking.

The unit I purchased was from a job 1 2008 Super Duty, I thought this would be close to what I needed, turned out that wasn't the case. What I found was the 08+ Super Duty's use the CAN-BUS system to control the radio whereas our pickups do not. With the radio installed it would give me the Ford logo then power off. I had to package the radio up and send it in to United Radio of New York to have it reprogrammed. They configured it so it no longer needed the CAN-BUS to work. Again, finding one that isn't like this will be luck of the draw.

On another note, I have been EXTREMELY impressed with the service of Ron and Dan in the programming department of United Radio. Radio was programmed and returned same day, was exceptionally well package upon return, and they even had a candy cane taped to the receipt!

Extending on this, I called Ron about the steering wheel controls not being 100%. He spent a lot of time on the phone working with me on a solution. It can't be done through programming. The steering wheel buttons work on resistance, each one sends a different voltage to the unit and it reads that and responds accordingly. 07's use different resistors than the 08+ pickups, but, he also gave me each resistors value for all the buttons on both an 07 and 08 Super Duty! I'm now in search of an extra set of 07 steering wheel controls to see if I can swap out some resistors and make it work like it should.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is a great write up I know me and ihv800 worked on this for atleast 2 months and both of our resources paid off I also have a few codes to get into the programming screens and to be able to enter address while driving. When I get to a computer I will post the links and upload the fourm to send in te radio as far as the steering wheel controls mine work flawless and what he does is program this radio to work off of a 12 v power supply instead of the can bus if I can upload some pictures from my phone I will if not I will do so when I post the links. As far as the models go there is a first gen and a secon gen the first gen is not DVD capable only capable of controlling the rear factor DVD and is not back up camera capable. From my understanding if you have a year model that is not equipped with the factory touch screen when they program it they program it to unlock all the features whether it be a first or second gen and if I can get my hands on a second gen I will have it programmed to see if it will work bc I would like the back up camera feature and DVD feature
Attached Thumbnails
OEM 6 Disc Navigation Swap Write-up!-image.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.