Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Climate control issue

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  justintime_3 
#1 ·
Howdy everyone -

I am having some issues with the automatic climate control in my 2006 F250. A couple of times over the past 6 months or so, when I get in and start the truck, the climate control doesn't come on... by this I mean that you can't turn it on or off, and nothing on the display is lit up (usually the external temp is shown when nothing else is on). If I turn the truck off and then back on, it would come back on. This only happened a couple of times, and there were months in between each occurrence.

That is until today. Everything worked fine this morning (thankfully; it was cold out!), but when I went to run errands at lunch, it started acting up. After my 2nd stop of the trip, the unit didn't come back on. I turned the truck off twice, but to no avail.

Anyone had this issue or have any idea what is going on? I'm going to check fuses tonight and hope that this is the issue. I don't want to have to find out how much a new control box costs. :taze:

#3 ·
Hopefully you don't need a new climate control.

For the times that it doesn't come on, you can just cycle the headlight switch back and forth between "off" and "auto" several times and that should bring it back to life!!!

My climate control has done this once or twice a year since it was new and doing this has always fixed it.

#5 ·
It will eventually give out for quite a long time. Mine has gotten progressively worse to where it will not come on any time I start the truck until about 15-20 minutes of running. It is a common issue and has been discussed numerous times on here. There is no fix yet other than to replace the whole unit and I have heard they are $400 or so.

#7 ·
Cycling the headlights works most times. I ended up getting a new head from a wrecker for $100 and reinstalling. Its easy to change out. Ford wanted over $500.

#8 ·
I just purchased a used one off of ebay today. Sick and tired of it not working. It will eventually just stop working like mine. I am also going to disassemble my current one and see if I can come up with a DIY fix for this issue. I am guessing it is something like the FICM where some solder cracks from excess heat and vibration. I will let you all know what I come up with.

#9 ·
I have the same problem. I'll try cycling the headlights! Thanks!

#13 ·
Cycled my lights and it worked too lol.

#15 ·
If you have the push button controls and digital display sometimes it doesn't turn on.

#16 ·
The climate control should work regardless, but there is some kind of a glitch in the system on the 05-07 Superdutys.:mad:

Mine has done this from 2006 on about once or twice a year, I'm glad that I found out about the headlight trick years ago because it was a real pain to find a place to pull over and shut off the truck to reset it!

#17 ·
Okay just to update my EBay Climate control did work, it helps when you press a button to turn it on after installation. I am used to having the EXT temp always on that I forgot I had to actually push a button to turn it on. So once it gives out completely which it will you have to replace the entire unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.