Climate control issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Climate control issue

Howdy everyone -

I am having some issues with the automatic climate control in my 2006 F250. A couple of times over the past 6 months or so, when I get in and start the truck, the climate control doesn't come on... by this I mean that you can't turn it on or off, and nothing on the display is lit up (usually the external temp is shown when nothing else is on). If I turn the truck off and then back on, it would come back on. This only happened a couple of times, and there were months in between each occurrence.

That is until today. Everything worked fine this morning (thankfully; it was cold out!), but when I went to run errands at lunch, it started acting up. After my 2nd stop of the trip, the unit didn't come back on. I turned the truck off twice, but to no avail.

Anyone had this issue or have any idea what is going on? I'm going to check fuses tonight and hope that this is the issue. I don't want to have to find out how much a new control box costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the exact same issue with my 05 F250. Sorry I don't have a solution for you, just the same problem.

Jim
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hopefully you don't need a new climate control.

For the times that it doesn't come on, you can just cycle the headlight switch back and forth between "off" and "auto" several times and that should bring it back to life!!!

My climate control has done this once or twice a year since it was new and doing this has always fixed it.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good info to know!!! I'll give it a try the next time it acts up.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 AM

It will eventually give out for quite a long time. Mine has gotten progressively worse to where it will not come on any time I start the truck until about 15-20 minutes of running. It is a common issue and has been discussed numerous times on here. There is no fix yet other than to replace the whole unit and I have heard they are $400 or so.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Premium Member

I had the same problem this morning and used the headlight switch trick. I don't know why but it worked! Good to know. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 AM

Cycling the headlights works most times. I ended up getting a new head from a wrecker for $100 and reinstalling. Its easy to change out. Ford wanted over $500.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 AM

I just purchased a used one off of ebay today. Sick and tired of it not working. It will eventually just stop working like mine. I am also going to disassemble my current one and see if I can come up with a DIY fix for this issue. I am guessing it is something like the FICM where some solder cracks from excess heat and vibration. I will let you all know what I come up with.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the same problem. I'll try cycling the headlights! Thanks!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:24 PM

So got a used unit off of ebay that stated "it worked when removed" And still nothing. WTF is going on here. My tow haul button will not work either. I am statring to think its in the steering column now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.