JL Audio Stealthbox in 2005 F350 CC Lariat... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
JL Audio Stealthbox in 2005 F350 CC Lariat...

Since I have been chatting with some other members about the headunits in our trucks, I thought of a question I wanted to ask, and see what others think, what you have done, etc. I have a nice headunit, and upgraded speakers in the doors, but am missing the nice punch of a subwoofer. In my past days of building competition audio systems for trucks, I would have just built a large box, and removed one of the seats in the back. However now I have reached that point in my life, where the interior space is at a premium, and any mods I make need to be minimally invasive. I used to compete with JL Audio Subs in my show trucks, and am fairly familiar with their products. They make two different stealth boxes that would fit in my truck. The first one would remove the folding package shelf under the larger rear seat section and replace it with a smaller sub box that would remain hidden, and not affect lifting the seat, or folding the back down. I like this option generally, as I rarely have used that folding package shelf.

The other option sits in the center console. It requires removing the console, mounting their custom formed box, then setting the console top back over it. This is a nice feature, however it removes a lot of the storage space in the console, and makes it sit up higher by about an inch and a half. I prefer to have the storage space in there, so am leaning away from this one.

I have also toyed with the idea of just building a custom box to go behind the rear seats, however, I have the power rear sliding window, and I know that makes a custom box significantly more complex to build, and would likely require removal of the rear wall carpet totally. I am sure it can be done well but again, I would be losing the storage there (I keep my jugs of Powerservice back there so they are easily at hand when filling up).

To create a custom box behind the seat would be expensive, but the under-seat stealthbox is also expensive. So here is my question to you all... Has anyone got one of the Underseat JL Audio Stealthboxes, and if so how do you like it? I dont need an overwhelming pounding bass, just something to fill out the sound. Does the frequency and location of the stealthbox give you a decent range, or is it really not worth the money? Also for those who have built a box to go behind the rear seat, how much did the rear window actuator impact the design? Were you able to fit all that you needed back there or was it a futile project?

I have seen several topics about varied constructions, but I am looking to see if I can narrow it down to the two specific locations and designs to pick what will work better, what will sound better, and what will be more cost effective. Thanks in advance for the replies (I hope there will be replies!). I know this is a long winded post, but I wanted to articulate my needs, feelings and such to make sure there were no misunderstandings on what I was asking for help with. Anyways, hope everyone is having a good day!

Alpha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you ever figure out what you wanted to do and if you did what did you do. I have the SAME issues! Any information would be appreciated.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I haven't yet figured out what to do. I know JL Audio's reputation for building quality boxes and such, and am leaning towards the rear underseat stealthbox. I am sure there are many who would say to just put one behind the seat, yet I just cannot convince myself to give up the storage behind there. I keep my old EMT strobes back there, along with my jugs of PowerService, and all my cleaning stuff (chamois, body squeege, California Car Duster, microfiber polishing cloths and varied interior cleaning stuff like armorall, pledge, and window cleaner). All of that would require its own full toolbox in the bed, which already has one full medium sized plastic DeeZee floor mounted box holding tow straps, tarps, straps and bungees, jumper cables, first aid kits, etc. I have one of the Fold-a-cover tonneaus on the truck (which I didn't like at first, but have come to love its function), so anything moved to the rear would be kept safe and dry, but it just seems the access behind the rear seat is much better for fast acces, frequent use things. Given that I wash my truck weekly, and put in PowerService with every fill up, moving those to the bed would make that more of a pain.

I was hoping someone who had one of the JL Stealthboxes would chime in and give us a review of it and what they liked or didn't, but as of yet have not seen any comments. I will gladly keep you posted if I do make the jump on it, otherwise I am going to keep doing research and trying to find more reviews before I make my decision.

Alpha
Old 12-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was hoping you had already installed it. I have no interest in buying a $750.00 science experiment! I thought for sure I could find someone how had written a review on it and had not been paid to do it.

Anyway, please keep me posted. Right now I have a 10" kicker behind the seat in a custom box and I don't care for the performance. I want a more of a musical speaker, one that has a good response and is more efficient. I had that with my Memphis Audio tens but they will not fit behind the seat. I am very curious about the JL under the seat. I know the center console leaves much to be desired in my opinion.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have a box behind the rear seats and I have the power rear sliding window too. Has two 10" subs in it but this was done before I bought the truck.

I have been looking at this: superduty112 after seeing one on youtube. I have talked to the gut a little and he suggested one JL 13" with his ported box. I have bought one yet because I would really like to hear the difference between the one sub and two sub version.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Oh, and I still have 1/3+ of the storage room behind the seats on the passenger side (but would always like more).
Old 12-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

I have 2 JLs in a custom box behind the rear seat. Not really what your asking but I have no storage there. What about storing that stuff under the seat? I also have very little room under my seats as I have 2 amps mounter under there.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

Forgot to mention that I had to remove the steel fold out to mount all that but that's kinda obvious.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

Im also looking at teh under seat JL Stealth box. It seems like a sweet deal. But, im afraid that it will not be enough. I used to two Fosgate HX2's that will handle 1000 watts a piece. But there no way in hell they will ever fit in my crew cab. I also keep my power service bottle behind teh rear seat accessible for every fill up
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 AM

SPL2K - World Champion Mobile Audio
He makes boxes for behind the rear seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.