Coming through firewall - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coming through firewall

hey guys when wiring up 20+ things that need power where it the best spot to come through the firewall on an 04? going through a gromet down to the left of the brake and behind the foam stuff is there an easier place to wire through that will look cleaner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 05:50 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

I hope you're not planning on bringing all 20+ power wires through the fire wall...

If you are, scratch that. Bring ONE 4awg power wire through the firewall and wire it up to an aftermarket fuse panel inside the cab.

Like this:

Keep in mind that there are a few gromments under your feet in the floorboard, under the carpet. I have a 0awg power wire coming through that one instead of the firewall.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:12 AM

Where would you hide that and all the relays behind the dash though? These are mainly just for switches, but then there's the inverter, amp, cb radio, gauges, switches, aux outputs hidden behind dash, extra lighting in cab and on bottom of doors.

That's just for the inside, outside going to have 4 fogs extra driving lamps, back up lights, compressor, train horn, water meth kit, slip tank with transfer flo pump and pump on top, cab lights, power amp folding steps.

Just like so much stuff and I don't really want to be tapping into factory harnesses other then to turn on the fuse block.

http://painlessperformance.shptron.c...tTrackingEmail

I bought 3 of these but want to have everything on switches so I can turn almost everything on and off except for things needed to start, and I don't want to be draining my battery while it's off, I was wondering if there would be a way to make those circuits into 7 ignition hot sources instead of 4 and 3

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-19-2012, 06:38 AM

I'd return those things if I were you. They are pointless and expensive! Since you want to wire up a switch for everything, run it how I suggested. One power wire in, routed to the fuse block, then each switch, then out to the outside electrical components. This way, you don't have wires coming in and going out of the firewall. You'll have one power wire in, and only outside components out.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:35 AM

You ain't supposed to run power through switches that's how your truck burns down, they are switches not load bairing

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-19-2012, 07:47 AM

Incorrect.

Power is run through switches.

You are not supposed to run more amps through the switch than the switch is rated for.

If you are running an electrical component that is more amps than the switch can handle, a relay is required.

Good Luck.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:10 AM

Multi Purpose Fuse Panel 14 Slot USA | eBay

so one like that would be good then?
does the panel need to be grounded, or just the accesories?
no these would make all my switches be hot all the time no? would there be a way so that a i could have ignition hot switches so i could leave some switches on so that when i remote start my truck the accesories i want on come on, and then my battery doesnt drain dead while its off? im guessing there has to be a 4 awg relay with a huge amperage rating? or maybe just run the 4 awg off of the alternator and then never have to worry about ever killing batteries? but would that be bad for the alternator?

the only reason i liked those painless ones is because they have ignition hot circuits.

thanks steve
Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 PM

hey man if you could help with those last questions a little bit, planning on running wires pretty quick here, also i need a spot to hide this panel, behind the dash where it is still accessible, any ideas?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Do you know anything about electricity and electronics? Not busting your balls but I would hate to see another truck burned up. If you don't go to a stereo installer and explain what you want and they will tell you the best way to do it and probably do it for you.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:56 AM

i dont know about the stereo installers where you come from, but where i live if your not paying them $50 an hour your not getting anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.