Iphone/Ipod adapter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Iphone/Ipod adapter

Anyone have info on an adapter for a Ipod/Iphone for an OEM 6 disc?

I want to be able to charge the Idevice and use the steering wheel controls.

I have used the search function.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Call Crutchfield. Only certain model stock radios work with the adapters. They have you do a few function tests to get the serial number and they can help you from there. My '06 was not compatible with any adapter so I had to replace the head unit in order to use my iPhone/iPod. Now I need a different adapter to use the steering wheel controls, its ridiculous.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If Cructhfield cant help you then its almost easier to just get a new head unit that has a Aux input. You will have a better sounding system but it will cost you more cash then what you are expecting to pay now for just a adapter. They are simple to install with these kits they have these days.
Or You could take a simple way out and just goto radio shack and get one of the plugs that will charge your ipod and it will play your ipod thru a pre set radio station. The sound isnt the greatest but it works and will only cost about $25.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:49 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkDiver View Post
If Cructhfield cant help you then its almost easier to just get a new head unit that has a Aux input. You will have a better sounding system but it will cost you more cash then what you are expecting to pay now for just a adapter. They are simple to install with these kits they have these days.
Or You could take a simple way out and just goto radio shack and get one of the plugs that will charge your ipod and it will play your ipod thru a pre set radio station. The sound isnt the greatest but it works and will only cost about $25.
search on amazon "PIE FRD04-POD/S". Got mine delivered for $144 works great and utilizes steering wheel controls as well.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkDiver View Post
New head unit is not a possibility for now - that is why I asked about adapting the OEM 6 disc unit. I realize that would be the better overall way to go, but around here these trucks are often borrowed by people who don't own them. I have done everything possible to keep my truck with me. The radio is an easily viewable extra reason to steal the truck.

Shawn
Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider284 View Post
search on amazon "PIE FRD04-POD/S". Got mine delivered for $144 works great and utilizes steering wheel controls as well.
Yep. I have one on my desk now.

Did you install yours?
Was it a PITA to get to the back of the radio in the dash?
Know of any way to go from the RCA outputs on the adpater to the idevice
style input instead of the 3mm input so it will charge too?

Anyone hooked up an amp to the factory head unit? I have a small sub too.

Shawn
Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzmail View Post
Yep. I have one on my desk now.

Did you install yours?
Was it a PITA to get to the back of the radio in the dash?
Know of any way to go from the RCA outputs on the adpater to the idevice
style input instead of the 3mm input so it will charge too?

Anyone hooked up an amp to the factory head unit? I have a small sub too.

Shawn
Yeah i like the stock look too. Just put the steering wheel all the way up, pull off the dash, unplug all the controls then use a 8mm to pop the radio out. Use the back of the radio for a ground (should be some more 8mm fasteners back there holding it together) then use a quick splice to tap into a pink/black striped wire on the stereo harness (this wire will power it even if truck is off until the point where you open a door). Then just plug in the 16 pin connector into the back of the radio and your good to go. You shouldve gotten the FRD04/pod model which powers/plays all apple devices. I ran the wite down the back of the dash right out of the "garbage bag" hook which is under your cup holder. Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Don't mean to hijack but is there a way to just plug an adapter into the factory head unit to just play your iPhone using the aux button? No charging, no steering wheel control, just play. Like how new cars have the aux in on the front of the unit. My king ranch has the aux button but no input that's visible.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickettering View Post
Don't mean to hijack but is there a way to just plug an adapter into the factory head unit to just play your iPhone using the aux button? No charging, no steering wheel control, just play. Like how new cars have the aux in on the front of the unit. My king ranch has the aux button but no input that's visible.
Yes, same company just a different model. Uses a standard headphone jack cord like most newer aux inputs.
PIE FRD04-AUX/S Adjustable Auxiliary Input For Ford, Lincoln And Mercury Vehicles:Amazon:Car Electronics PIE FRD04-AUX/S Adjustable Auxiliary Input For Ford, Lincoln And Mercury Vehicles:Amazon:Car Electronics
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 PM

You can even buy the female end headphone jack that comes with a grommet and snap fitting so you can put it in your dash anywhere you would like and just use a standard aux cable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.