THRC MOD (Tailgate Handle Rear-view Camera install) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 09:55 AM
SC Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
THRC MOD (Tailgate Handle Rear-view Camera install)

Tailgate Handle Rear-view Camera mod....

Wanted a discrete rear-view that looked factory, searched around to see if anybody had done this and there are one or two "similar" but not like this. Fairly straight forward and not too bad as long as you already have a head-unit that has rear camera input...and you don't lock your tailgate often. I’ve had this truck for almost 5 years and have never locked it so it was a no brainer....
It’s not 100% perfect and you can’t dock a trailer with it, but it sure is better than what I had before.

The size of the camera is almost a perfect fit to the key hole. Round file and about 20 minutes and it was snug!! SLIGHTLY bend the four metal securing tabs on the camer so they hold with the thickness of the handle. Tied power from the camera, simple 2-wire red and black, into the reverse back up lights so the camera ONLY has power when in reverse and got the trigger wire behind the passenger side kick panel. It’s the black and pink wire and yes. I saw my splice had popped loose and fixed it after I took the picture…

Parts listing was easy and got it all from Amazon.

Camera:
Amazon.com: Night Wide Vision Car RearView Reverse Color Camera: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Night Wide Vision Car RearView Reverse Color Camera: Car Electronics

25 ft. video cable - one that comes is too short if you run behind the dash through the firewall and under the truck.

Amazon.com: 1 RCA Male / 1 RCA Male, Audio or Video Cable, 25 ft: Electronics Amazon.com: 1 RCA Male / 1 RCA Male, Audio or Video Cable, 25 ft: Electronics

Has very similar backup grid/ lines as does our Edge.

Most time was spent running the video cable through wire loom and securing it in the frame channel under the truck. Getting it in there by the tank was fun but a straightened out clothes hanger taped to it did the job. Then a hole drilled in the bed and rubber grommets and we were good to go. The hole in the side of the tailgate is already there. Just had to drill it a bit bigger.

Hope this helps someone willing to try it. Again, I didn’t see anyone else showing one done like this so no offense if one has been done. It’s not a factory rear camera by any means, but I’ve become so use to it now I don’t think I could drive the ole’ girl without it…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
That's awesome thank you for this.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nice Job!!!

I added a camera to my tailgate handle, but I still wanted to be able to lock it so I drilled a hole for the camera. It won't aim down enough to see the trailer ball, but it helps alot and has great visibility!

Old 09-19-2012, 04:00 PM
SC Premium Member

Thanks guys!!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Add a lock actuator that is wired into your doors for the tailgate?? Seen it done in a tool box must be possible for the tailgate

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 09-20-2012, 06:12 AM

Anyone put one in the hole for the spare tire access? Been thinking about this, if it would fit, and could be easily removed for spare access.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve6L View Post
Add a lock actuator that is wired into your doors for the tailgate?? Seen it done in a tool box must be possible for the tailgate
they actually sell a kit for this about 60 bucks. I lock my tailgate every night they come up missing a lot around here heck I even have a Master brand tailgate hinge lock .

I can't see adding a camera if you cant see the hitch ball while backing up?

I wish someone would come up with a replacement handle housing that was like the 08 setup but would fit ours .

Mine is on top of the rear bumper and below the tailgate because IN AZ you can not block any of the State letters like a plate mounted camera would

Last edited by ZMANN; 09-20-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:39 AM
SC Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
I can't see adding a camera if you cant see the hitch ball while backing up?
Last time I checked, back up to a trailer wasn't the only time I backed up....

And not trying to start a pissing match, but it's probably one of the few activities per week I do in regards to backing up. And I typically tend to have several people/friends/family/kids going with me if I'm trailering either toys, camper or a piece of work equipment. Parking lots, pets, kids toys left behind the truck, etc.... make it worth it to have it vs. not having it simply because I can't see the ball. It resolves 90% of the "need" for one on MY ride..... The 10% for trailering I can still live with live help.

They do however make a swivel type pin-hole camera as well as as angled housing camera that would fit in the same hole. But with 8" lift, 37" tires and I'm sure a decent drop hitch to accomidate, even with an angled housing, would you be able to see the ball on your ride?

Last edited by Rattler-FX4; 09-22-2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:20 AM
SC Premium Member

And time to eat crow..... Had to load my New Holland 3040 yesterday to do some dirt work for my mother-in-law and had no help. So had to hook the trailer solo. Will be redoing this MOD to be 100% to view the ball......

Will update once completed.....

Last edited by Rattler-FX4; 09-28-2012 at 02:20 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Subscribed Ive always wanted to do this just worried about not seeing the ball
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.