Help! HID Light Kit Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Help! HID Light Kit Problems

I'm having some trouble installing my H13 hid kit in my '07 F-350. I'm using a relay harness for it. I have it installed (as best as I can tell), exactly to the specifications on the wiring diagram on the inside of the box. However, when the low-beams are supposed to turn on, nothing works. Then when the hi-beams are switched on, they work 100%. Once the high-beams are switched off, everything turns off and no low-beams work. I do believe that when the high-beams are switched on, the low-beams turn on as well. Just because when the high-beams are switched off, the high beams turn off instantly, and there's a 0.5 second delay before the low-beams also turn off.

This same thing happens regardless of whether I pull the turn signal backwards (temporary high-beams) or push the turn signal away (toggle high-beams).

I really don't understand what could be wrong with it. Both ground wires wired to the the universal 9006 plugs on the relay harness are being used. The red positive terminal with the fuse seems to be connected to the positive battery terminal correctly. I'm using the passenger-side battery, as the truck has 2 batteries. I'm only using 1 of the original adaptors that's in the truck (because I want to use the relay, not just pnp). I'm using the one on the passenger side. Everything else seems to be hooked up properly as well. It's not like I had to fight to install it. It seemed easy.

Help! Keep in mind I'm bad with electrical work, so please use the easiest terms possible to explain lol. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 02:47 PM

You have some wires switched somewhere, and hid kits don't have high and low beams, they are just one beam and some kits with the "high beams" are actually just regular lights wired in with them so when you turn on the hig beams the regular low beam nonhidmloghts will show
Old 08-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Well I'm sure that my hi-beams are not halogens cause they are the 6000k white. However after looking online some more, my lights will push back when the hi-beans are on. So it's the same hid light, just at a different angle. But the low-beams do come on properly for that half second when the hi-beams are being turned off. Just can't get them to turn on normally.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:47 PM

Anyone else have any ideas? I got an installer to check my wiring and he said it was done correctly. He also swapped out my relay harness for a new one, and the same thing happened. Then he switched one of my hid bulbs with a different style, and still nothing worked. Any ideas? I'm pretty lost here. Don't know what it could be. Please help! Thanks!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yeah, HID's are supposed to be used with a projector, which has a shield inside the projector. The shield acts as a cut off line, when you hit the brights a solenoid moves the shield allowing for full projection. Best way to do HID's is a true Hid retrofit.

Sent from iPhone
Old 08-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to dieselmatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobenator View Post
You have some wires switched somewhere, and hid kits don't have high and low beams, they are just one beam and some kits with the "high beams" are actually just regular lights wired in with them so when you turn on the hig beams the regular low beam nonhidmloghts will show
Yeah...thats not true. My HIDs are both hi and low.

OP, there should be an individual ground for each bulb. Instead of connecting this to the old bulbs harness find a good spot of metal in the engine bay and ground it there. Make sure that you sand the spot you choose so that it is bare metal and also use some electrical grease on the connection.

Also, where did you buy the kit from? They might be able to help you as well.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
Yeah, HID's are supposed to be used with a projector, which has a shield inside the projector. The shield acts as a cut off line, when you hit the brights a solenoid moves the shield allowing for full projection. Best way to do HID's is a true Hid retrofit.
I don't understand why that would be the issue. Maybe I just don't get it though. I do know that when I release the hi-beam switch, the low beam does shine for half a second before it shuts off. That's because the high beam pulls the bulb further back into the socket. And when they're being turned off, the bulb pops back out to its original position, but the juice still flows into it for that half second before it shuts off.

I even checked the directly in the housing to see if the low beam turns on, and there's nothing

Still clueless here
Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmatt View Post
OP, there should be an individual ground for each bulb. Instead of connecting this to the old bulbs harness find a good spot of metal in the engine bay and ground it there. Make sure that you sand the spot you choose so that it is bare metal and also use some electrical grease on the connection.

Also, where did you buy the kit from? They might be able to help you as well.
I have both the individual ground wires (black wires) connected to metal in the engine bay. As far as I know (which could obviously be wrong), nothing will work if it's not grounded properly. But the hi-beams do work 100%, so wouldn't that eliminate improper grounding?

As far as where I bought the kit from...that's the installer I went back to see. He said he was clueless and didn't have any more ideas. I was also in a time crunch becuase I had to head out of town.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:39 PM

The kit I bought and installed last week for both my headlights and foglights were all plug and play. I had to do no wiring. Not sure whats up with yours.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfishoutofwater View Post
The kit I bought and installed last week for both my headlights and foglights were all plug and play. I had to do no wiring. Not sure whats up with yours.
Hmm...so you just didn't use a relay harness at all? No reliability issues so far? Cold start problems? Flickering? Maybe I'll try that when I bet back to my truck. Might work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
beams, harness, headlight, hid, relay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.