Chinese Double DIN steering wheel controls - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chinese Double DIN steering wheel controls

I'm posting this more as an FYI than anything.

I just purchased an EONON G2216 Eonon G2216| Car GPS | Car DVD GPS | 2 Din Car GPS DVD. I bought it at amazon for $269. It says it has steering wheel control built in but for some reason it wouldn't work directly with the Ford interface. According to Eonon it requires A/D Conversion....whatever that means. Anyway I also had an AXXESS ASWC from my previous radio but wasn't having much luck. I called Axxess and fortunately I spoke with one of their techs who said they have had undocumented success with some of the chinese units. So I gave it a try.
The gist of this story is this:

The Axxess comes with a 3.5mm Male plug that plugs into certain brands of radios for SWC. It also comes with a 3.5mm female that is loose. Hook the axxess up according to the directions for Ford. On my Eonon radio there were 2 wires for steering wheel control. (Their manual states different cars hook up differently and you may need a combination of one or the other or both). The Brown wire from the female 3.5mm receptical gets attached to the SWC wire labeled SW1 on the Eonon. Then simply plug in the male 3.5mm to the female, go to the section in the radio where you program your steering wheel controls and choose your settings and viola.....It works perfectly!!!!!!!

As far as the radio, so far I like it. Not quite as polished as the name brands but for the money it works pretty danged good. GPS and backup camera are the main features I like as well as multiple USB inputs and an SD card slot and full IPOD interface. I just have a little USB thumb drive plugged into the USB cord that runs from the back of the radio down to inside the drivers glove box.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thx for heads up. I want a new HU, but can't afford to spend another $500-600. I've had the EONON flip-down DVD players before for my kids. Those worked awesome

most of the name brands are made in China anyways. It would not surprise me if the cheap eBay knock-offs were exact copies of ripped-off name brands
Old 08-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

In actuality they are a copy. In fact eonon even talks about it on their website. That is why I bought an actual Eonon. They are about $40 higher than some of the knock off knockoffs (lol) but I've heard their quality is pretty good all things considered and a step above the other knockoffs. I'm going into this expecting quirks but then again i spent $270 and not $1000+. So far ....for my needs....It seems pretty good. The only real complaint so far is I wish it had an external mike for the bluetooth. The sound is acceptable but not real great. Time will tell how well it holds up. Previously I had a Dual single din with a butt load of features that I paid $90 for at wally world and I was uber impressed. Worked great.

Steve
Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

nice. I've had 5 of the Eonon DVD players. 2 headrest style, and 3 of the roof mounted style.

makes me feel better to take a stab at the double din dash one.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 PM

How's the radio working out? Did you have to mod the existing slot to make it fit? Hard?

Thanks.
I have a 2001 crewcab.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App
Old 11-04-2012, 02:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Why buy a knock-off? I bought the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH for $360 from Amazon.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well the big advantage to me is the feature vs the cost. Please understand much to my wife's chagrin I am a 'BUY IT NICE OR BUY IT TWICE' kinda guy. I rarely shop by price alone. If I'm buying an all in one I want an all in one. The built in GPS was an important feature TO ME. This unit is what it is. Its sorta like buying a Chevy volt and expecting it to drive and handle like a Porsche. This radio has many nice features. Is it as refined as maybe a pioneer or a JVC......NO. I love the fact that I can change the GPS software which I already have done. I just prefered the igo 8 over the sygic that was included. Cost me about $25 off of eBay and can't be done with most of the 'name brand' units. Do I wish some of the screens had a more 'finished' look.....yes I do but in reality I have most (if not all) the features of a unit that costs 4-5 times as much. The longevity is something we will have to see about. I have no idea if it will hold up or not. If I could have found a pioneer with all the same features for say $400 I probably would have spent the extra but when I was searching I couldn't find anything close. Usually the GPS is what tanks it.

Steve
Old 11-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

As far as mounting it I used a METRA kit and did have to trim some of the faceplate but it looks pretty good. No mods at all to the stock dash or anything. Also got the plug in adapters so I didn't have to cut any of the wires. Overall install was pretty easy. The hardest part was connecting the radio plug in to the adapter plug and that was a snap.

Steve
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey, just getting set up to install an 2DIN Eonon unit and was looking at the SWC wires at the back of the HU. You said to connect SWC1 to brown, what did you do with the other two wires? Leave them? Connect them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.