Multiple cameras - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Multiple cameras

I am putting in a 7" Nav/Stereo in my '07. It has a hookup for a backup camera. I am thinking of putting a camera on the front also. Kind of to help when pulling into tight short parking spaces since the truck is so tall it's kinda hard, for me at least to gauge my distance. Anyways I was thinking of maybe installing a relay with diodes and a video in splitter so that when I shift into reverse I get the backup camera and maybe hook one of the upfitters so that when I switch it on I get the front camera. Anybody done this before??? Anything I'm missing in my logic? Any I deas?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Not really any need for relays and diodes. A video switcher will have a positve or negative trigger that can switch to the 2nd input by the upfitter switch, then run the output to the headunits camera input.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks, Do you have a brand or a link for the switcher?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide App
Old 08-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does your head unit have aux input in addition to a dedicated camera input?

If so, just hook them up that way, and switch to the aux setting when you need to use the front cam. Otherwise, how is your head unit going to know which signal to accept if you wire two cameras up to one input? I'll bet the picture quality would also suck if you have to use a splitter to bring both video inputs into one port.

Also, if you hook a front cam into an input port made for a rear cam, your picture will be "backwards", so stuff to your left will be on the right side of your screen, and vice versa. If you run a front cam into an aux input, you shoudln't have that problem.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ff View Post
Thanks, Do you have a brand or a link for the switcher?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide App
I dont like to push our companies products on forums, but we have the VA26, 2 inputs and 6 outputs.Pac-Audio.com Product Search | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

Video image would not "suck" as this is also a video amplifier. There are cameras that have reversible images to be used in front or rear applications
Old 08-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good input guys. I am getting (Don't have it yet) an Eonon G2216. Before the bashing starts I know I should get a Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, etc.,etc.,etc. But these are reasonably priced and have had some good experiences with the 'cheaper' radio's in the past. I am not really an audiophile per se.
Now with that out of the way here was my thinking.
There is a dedicated port for backup video (you can mirror image it on the radio) with a wire that senses when you go into reverse. It just picks up power from the back up lights and switches the radio to that video input. There is also an AUX video input but it has to be manually selected from the radio.
The reason I was thinking of using diodes and a splitter was this: If I shift into reverse the power from the backup lights turns on power to the camera and also causes the radio to auto switch to the video display. I was going to run power from one of the upfitters to the front camera and also to the sense wire on the radio (The same one where the wire from the back up lights is hooked to). Hence the reason for the diodes. If I flip on the upfitter, it powers the front camera and turns the radio to the correct display with the diodes keeping power from feeding through to the backup lights. When I put the truck in reverse again power is sent to the rear camera and to the sense on the radio with the diode keeping power from going to the front camera. The only issue could be if I was in reverse and switched the upfitter on.

See what I'm saying??

Steve
Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Good input guys. I am getting (Don't have it yet) an Eonon G2216. Before the bashing starts I know I should get a Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, etc.,etc.,etc. But these are reasonably priced and have had some good experiences with the 'cheaper' radio's in the past. I am not really an audiophile per se.
Now with that out of the way here was my thinking.
There is a dedicated port for backup video (you can mirror image it on the radio) with a wire that senses when you go into reverse. It just picks up power from the back up lights and switches the radio to that video input. There is also an AUX video input but it has to be manually selected from the radio.
The reason I was thinking of using diodes and a splitter was this: If I shift into reverse the power from the backup lights turns on power to the camera and also causes the radio to auto switch to the video display. I was going to run power from one of the upfitters to the front camera and also to the sense wire on the radio (The same one where the wire from the back up lights is hooked to). Hence the reason for the diodes. If I flip on the upfitter, it powers the front camera and turns the radio to the correct display with the diodes keeping power from feeding through to the backup lights. When I put the truck in reverse again power is sent to the rear camera and to the sense on the radio with the diode keeping power from going to the front camera. The only issue could be if I was in reverse and switched the upfitter on.

See what I'm saying??

Steve
On my Alpine, it also automatically switches the view to the rear view cam if you put the vehicle in reverse, BUT the video signal from the cam is constantly being sent to the head unit, and you can manually select that view at any time. Ya, you could probably rig up a video switcher and somehow use the upfitter switch, but it seems like the long way to go about it.

Do you already have something you're wanting to connect to the aux input of the head unit? If not, why not just hook up your front cam there and keep the rear view cam the way it us? You can then manually select the front cam (aux) view from the touch screen about as easily as you could kick on the upfitter switch.

This way, you don't need a video switch, diodes, a reversible view camera, etc, the wiring will be very simple, and you can save the upfitter switch for something else.

Last edited by jluv; 08-13-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
On my Alpine, it also automatically switches the view to the rear view cam if you put the vehicle in reverse, BUT the video signal from the cam is constantly being sent to the head unit, and you can manually select that view at any time. Ya, you could probably rig up a video switcher and somehow use the upfitter switch, but it seems like the long way to go about it.

Do you already have something you're wanting to connect to the aux input of the head unit? If not, why not just hook up your front cam there and keep the rear view cam the way it us? You can then manually select the front cam (aux) view from the touch screen about as easily as you could kick on the upfitter switch.

This way, you don't need a video switch, diodes, a reversible view camera, etc, the wiring will be very simple, and you can save the upfitter sworn for something else.

Dang jluv,

You make a good point. I'll just keep the front camera powered all the time and use the aux input and skip the upfitter all together. Makes perfect sense.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Dang jluv,

You make a good point. I'll just keep the front camera powered all the time and use the aux input and skip the upfitter all together. Makes perfect sense.
Glad I could help. I have been thinking of doing this same thing for a while. Since I added a light bar on the front, I get nervous about inching up too far sometimes. Haven't hit anything yet, but it would be nice to know exactly how much room you have.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:05 AM

Quote:
I am putting in a 7" Nav/Stereo in my '07. It has a hookup for a backup camera. I am thinking of putting a camera on the front also. Kind of to help when pulling into tight short parking spaces since the truck is so tall it's kinda hard, for me at least to gauge my distance. Anyways I was thinking of maybe installing a relay with diodes and a video in splitter so that when I shift into reverse I get the backup camera and maybe hook one of the upfitters so that when I switch it on I get the front camera. Anybody done this before??? Anything I'm missing in my logic? Any I deas?

Steve
I run five different cameras on my rig, rear license plate, rear of travel trailer, inside of travel trailer, inside and out side of cargo trailer and just use a video switcher and have it sitting between the drivers seat and the middle seat and works great. Easy setup and zero issues. I bought the camera from Amazon for $22 each. They tie into the camera port on my Clarion Stereo. I can post some pics if you like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.