Remote keyless entry question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Remote keyless entry question

The previous owner uninstalled a viper alarm/keyless entry system. There were some remnants in the truck that I found that gave it away (I bought truck from a dealership). The truck has electronic locks and all that so I assumed I could just pick up a factory keyfob and go back to stock keyless entry. Well, when I cycle the key 8 times on nothing happens, meaning I can't program the keyfob to the truck. This has me wondering if the truck actually never had a stock keyless entry or if it was possibly disabled somehow by the Viper that was uninstalled. Is there a way to tell if the truck truly has keyless entry, and if so how could I turn it back on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Premium Member

I have the exact same issue....so I am subscribed....
Old 08-30-2012, 06:28 AM

Don't get your hopes up, I've been on this for a while hoping for an answer. In fact the notice for your response had me nearly jumping out of my chair until I saw you were having the same issue.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:00 AM

I think that there never was a 'factory' setup on any of this VSS/RKE and remote start. There was a 'factory approved' "Code Systems" brand that was usually installed by the dealer, and is what we generally think of as the 'factory' setup, it has the fob you're used to, etc. You can still get their manuals online. http://techservices.codesystems.com/

There's a box behind the radio with the code printed on it for the keyless entry keypad. I would assume it's probably the same box that works with the fobs. You have to look up from the bottom to see it, I think.
Then I believe the alarm has a box behind the dash fuse panel. That one's easy to see above the parking brake.
They were possibly removed or disconnected when the aftermarket alarm was installed. You might have more luck asking at a place that installs Vipers, they would know what would have been done to it if it was 'industry standard'.

I'm still not real clear on all that so don't take it as gospel. I know there was the built-in keypad and then there was a stick-on that could be added to a vehicle that didn't have it. So if the keypad WAS installed from the factory, why wouldn't the RKE have been? That's one of the confusing things I haven't figured out yet.

Last edited by Idahoser; 09-13-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:42 AM

Not all fords support fobs. I have an xlt that wasnt built to use them. I just bought an aftermarket setup for $200 installed.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 AM

My 05 xlt has power locks but no key fob from factory. I added a after market remote starter that works to unlock doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.