Overhead monitor/DVD player - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Duncan's KR Send a message via Yahoo to Duncan's KR
Question Overhead monitor/DVD player

Alright guys need a little help, I know some of you guys have these in your trucks so how about posting up some pictures and opinions of what you got or what you think is the best solution. I have been considering the 15.4" wide screens up to 17" but I just can not make up my mind, to be honest I dont know very much about this kinda stuff and am only doing it for my kids sake. I do have a AVH P4300DVD player for the truck which would work with just monitor(I think?) but if the kids are watching their stuff I want to be able to listen to the radio too and I do not think it would do both things at once, so I may have to get a DVD player and monitor set-up. As you can see I am a little out of my comfort zone here so any help is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I have one in my truck and my kids love the darn thing. The way it is setup is pretty neat too. With my DVD/NAVI/Stereo in the dash it allows me to separate the "zones" basically I can be watching a movie up on the navi and listen to it through the front speakers and the kids can watch their movie in the back and listen to it through the back speakers. I can change it to how ever I want it as well such as if I want to listen to music or watch a movie or have the navi give its directions or sirius or xm or movies or IPOD or cd lol whatever I want to listen to up front I can while the kids watch and listen to their movie in the back. Here are a couple of pics.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The AVH4300 should be a dual zone head unit so you can play 2 different sources(radio on the front and DVD output to the overhead. You can also use headphones so they dont have to hear what your listening to. Or you can get a overhead monitor with a built in DVD and still use headphones or run the audio to the headunits aux input. The bigger the monitor, the more of your visibility you will block. Anything over 11" will make the rear view mirror useless.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Banned

^^ When my kids are watching their movies on their dvd player I can't see out of my rear view mirror. Just to let you know thats a very valid point.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
I have been toying with this idea for quite some time. I am leaning towards installing monitors in the headrests so I do not block my rear view. The local stereo shop said it's quite easy to do, you just gotta have the sack to make the first cut into the headrest.

This is definitely on my want list. I have needs to get completed before I get to the wants....
Old 08-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Headrest monitors are easy to install, but you are limited to the size. The only drawback is if the preson leans back, the screen tends to wash out from the angle of the front seat back. I had 9" heqadrest monitors in my 06 mustang till some a-hole broke into it and stole $4,000 of my audio equipment
Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duncan's KR Send a message via Yahoo to Duncan's KR
Thanks guys, Iskwezm do you have any suggestions on what is a good overhead unit. I have been considering Power Acoustik, Pyle, and Claritin..... What do you think? Keep the replys coming.....
Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Tuscany do you have any pics of the monitor being installed? How did you mount it so that it does not affect your sun roof?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Banned

No the moon roof works flawlessly. I don't however have any pics of the install but the whole syste works great. It was a godsend when we were driving to Florida and back on vacation. The kids were quiet the whole time lol.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:40 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Did you mount it or did you have someone do it for you? I guess what I'm asking is how is it mounted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.