battery light, no radio or gauges - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question battery light, no radio or gauges

Hey everyone, I was coming home today and the radio started dying. Only for a couple of seconds and would come back on. A couple of miles later it died and the battery light started flickering and the speedo and tach needle started falling. Truck was running and a couple of seconds later both gauges went back to normal. I have been reading the threads about batteries and alternators but none mentioned the gauges acting up. What would you guys suggest i start checking???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like you need a new alternator
Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Afraid of that. Going to take it off this afternoon and have it tested. If it shows good it still may not be, correct? Sounds like quite a few test okay only to be replaced later.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Local Ford dealer said the alternator is charging. They told me to check all of the battery connections and if that didn't work to bring it in and let them go through it...
Old 07-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by busadave View Post
Local Ford dealer said the alternator is charging. They told me to check all of the battery connections and if that didn't work to bring it in and let them go through it...
You get any codes?

I would be driving and my gauge cluster, radio and window controls would fail. My battery light was also on. I was getting an overcharging system code, regulator is alternator was bad.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

clear of codes. he did mention that the regulator may be sticking or going out. driven the truck a couple of times since the battery cable cleaning and nothing yet. I'll keep an eye on it and see.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This same thing happened to my 2006 just last week and it turned out to be the alternator.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 AM

Same here...... 110 amp alts can't handle the stress of charging the batteries while running components on the dash and such.... Low amperage can lead alot of problems like FICM failure, killing your batteries and other major things as well.... The reason we had no lights and dash and such was because the alt won't charge the batteries until the glow plugs switch off, if you noticed it won't really happen until the engine temp was up then the problem was low alt amps. AS 135amp mid output amp is the answer.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:01 AM

Can be cause by a failing alt as well obviously, how ever mine problems were because of an undersized alt.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20046.0 View Post
You get any codes?

I would be driving and my gauge cluster, radio and window controls would fail. My battery light was also on. I was getting an overcharging system code, regulator is alternator was bad.
Your symptoms are the exact same that my truck was producing from and undersized amp! I bought a 135 amp online to correct the problem.. Cheap fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.