power to my backup camera - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
power to my backup camera

I know this is really elementary but where is the best place to grab power so that I have key on power to my back up camera. Do I go to the underdash fuse box and try to get a wire into a fuse some kind of way? I know this is probably something pretty novice but there ya go, I am a novice on electronics. Thanks all for your help

forgot to mention it is only a 22ga wire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok, how about this. Is there key on power under the hood near the upfitter switch tie ins?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by waumpuscat View Post
I know this is really elementary but where is the best place to grab power so that I have key on power to my back up camera. Do I go to the underdash fuse box and try to get a wire into a fuse some kind of way? I know this is probably something pretty novice but there ya go, I am a novice on electronics. Thanks all for your help

forgot to mention it is only a 22ga wire
Mine is tied into the selector switch, so when I put the truck in reverse the camera comes on automatically.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I tied mine into the back of the fuse block (drivers side under the wheel) remove 4 10mm bolts and the wire is in the lower right corner (looking at the fuses) it is a black and pink wire it is your reverse lite trigger. Camera comes on when you but it into reverse.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 PM

camera is at the back of the truck why not tie into your reverse lights in the rear light harness.
i dont think thats what waumpuscat was wondering, if i assume correctly he wants his camera to turn on while he/she is starting the truck to see behind and make sure of their surroundings
Old 07-05-2012, 03:58 AM

Typically u should be able to run it into ur reverse wire under ur dash. There should be a standby option on the camera also to lower the power down to a minimum when not using all of our tow trucks are direct power and cameras switch on in reverse
Old 07-08-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve6L View Post
camera is at the back of the truck why not tie into your reverse lights in the rear light harness.
i dont think thats what waumpuscat was wondering, if i assume correctly he wants his camera to turn on while he/she is starting the truck to see behind and make sure of their surroundings
My camera is powered and grounded at the tail light but rather than run the wire from the deck to the rear of the truck I tird into the reverse wire at the fuse panel.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:17 PM

And that relayed the video signal??
Old 07-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

are we talking about aftermarket or installing OEM into your truck?

I put a 2010 F-150 camera and lcd mirror into my F-250. It's powered/grounded off the 7-pin harness. anytime the truck is running, it's powered.

the rearview has a reverse trigger wire that tells it to energize the LCD in reverse.

awesome setup IMO. just wish it had been available prior to 2008

edit: I powered mine deliberately that way because after looking at the Ford schematics, the OEM camera is powered at all times as well. at some point I'll quit being lazy and will trigger the LCD off an upfitter as well so I can use it while driving forward. just too lazy to install the diode at the moment

Last edited by Tylus; 07-08-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Did you have to run a video cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.