Advice on sound system? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice on sound system?

Alright I'm looking to upgrade my stereo system in my 05 cc. Currently i have a sony xplode head unit and 2 12" mb quart shallow mounts. Stock door speakers. Heres what I plan on getting:

-Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH
- 2 JL audio 13tw5 in a sealed box
- a nice set of components(idk what or what amp??

What amp should I use for the subs. Im a little confused on how to wire them since they are 3 ohm.....?
I have seen several custom fiberglass door panel jobs on here. Is it worth getting that done or could I use the stock 6x8? I have zero experience with fiberglass and don't even think I want to install the components myself. I think i would rather have those done professionally. I can do the subs and head unit but I don't know where to place the tweeters and what not. I guess my main thing is what components should i get(along with what amp) and would it be worth finding a custom audio shop to make the door pannel thing? I want my music to sound amazing and listen to all genres of music. I also live around ft wayne IN if anyone knows of a custom audio shop?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can use 6.5" components in the doors. I used mdf type wood about 1/4 thick and placed the old 6x8 over it and traced out a template. I then traced the 6.5 component onto the piece i cut out that was identical to the 6x8 and cut the hole. I sprayed the board with that rubberizing waterproofer. Made it hold up to the elements and deadened the sound. Mounted the speaker in the board and the board mounted right up to the 6x8 opening. Mounted the tweeter on the inside of the door panel.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would clearly stay with JL Audio amps on the subs. There are certainly other options but the JL amps are designed specifically for their subs.

Components wise, I utilize Alpine Type-X and Type-R in my F150, Tahoe and soon to be in the Excursion. For me the Apline units can certainly handle a lot of power (as I prefer a good amount of volume) as well as the clarity is excellent. Regarding an amp(s) for the mids and highs, I have had great success with several different brands. IMO, dollar for dollar the Alpine amps are a great deal.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
or Kickers for the subs and amp, they make a shallow mount that kicks ***.. As far as component speakers, check out FOLK 6 x 9's- car toys has em..don't buy em there though lol look on ebay or something..But go to car toys to hear them, they sound better than infinity kappa series and they don't require an amp to drive em! They also have the tweeter mounted in the middle of speaker and you can adjust it to aim it how you want it.

I have the folk speakers fronts and rears, 1 12" kicker competition dual voice coil...great sounding stereo system!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Emergency Services

I can't find any Folk speakers, do you mean Polk or Focal?
Old 06-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Definitely not Polk, maybe it was focal...I tried looking at the speaker but can't see the name
Old 06-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Emergency Services

I've heard that Focal makes really good stuff, but are pretty pricey as well. I was thinking about going with my front speakers as component and the rear speakers with a good all-in-one speaker.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Yeah it's focal, lol yea pricey but damn
Glad I bought em, they sound badass!!! And they don't need an amp to drive em
Old 06-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Emergency Services

Do you know the model number of those speakers? Are they components?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.