Horse Trailer Camera Interference - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Horse Trailer Camera Interference

Ok, so I don't know how many of y'all will be familiar with a camera used in a horse trailer to watch horses going down the road, but I figured I would ask. So, I have it hard wired through my display on my dash, back thru the cab, over the wheel well, then back up through the bed, where it hooks into the connection attached to the trailer. It's a standard white/yellow A/V cable hooked into my amp/"brain".

The problem is, I'm getting a lot of interference when I hit the brake (ie, squiggly lines across the screen). I initially zip tied the cable very close to the brake light cable (unintentionally). I repositioned the cable away from the brake lines/cables, but still getting the interference. The camera cable is still pretty close to the brake light as it runs up close to the tailgate on the driver's side and into the bed. I'm thinking it's still interfering there.

Is there any way to wire it into the plug for the trailer brakes/lights? Then put the camera cable from the trailer into the trailer plug? Hope this isn't too confusing and complicated for ya. I'm no electrician by any means.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check to see if the cable is shielded

If not it is possible that any electrical bleeding will cause interference
Old 06-05-2012, 06:24 AM

I know exactly what you're referring to, and you're going to have to either shield one of the wires or re-route them. A ferrite bead might help also.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input guys! But, I can't tell if I am getting interference from the truck or from the trailer. I suppose that means I need to troubleshoot to find out where its coming from first, then shield? or should I shield the whole thing? Either way, shielded conduit is REAL expensive isn't it? Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess one way to tell if it's from the truck or trailer brakes is to hook the trailer up, then turn the brake controller for the trailer all the way down to where there's not any braking going to the trailer. Or do you think that even with it turned down, there will be an electrical current running to the trailer brakes? I suppose there would be, which wouldn't help me any.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:24 PM

Yep, gonna have to troubleshoot first, then figure out what needs to be shielded. The best bet may be to try to re-route the wire on the truck (pull it as far away from the truck as possible) and potentially try to wrap the wire in aluminum foil to see if that solves the problem.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:35 PM

What 12v source does your camera get its power from?
Old 06-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Run a seperate ground wire for camera. Had same problem on my reverse camera and back up alarm both getn same power and ground. Ran seperate power -same. Ran different ground same power -fixd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.