HID Retrofit 2005 PSD Project - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Exclamation HID Retrofit 2005 PSD Project

Alright guy's, so most people just buy the cheap HID bulb kits off ebay. Well this is the INCORRECT way to install HID's into your rig. HID (High intensity discharge) need to be behind a projector. Projectors control the light beam and provide a cut off line. The shade that makes the cut off line in bi-xenon projectors has a solenoid that will move the shade when you flick over to Hi-beams.

So simple putting hid bulbs into your halogen housing is WRONG. This is why you get flashed and when your driving or walking or looking at your lights they blind you!!

So I just ordered up my projectors, wiring, bulbs, and ballasts from the retrofit source: Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

I'll be retrofitting the projectors into stock oem headlights..see pic's below of a truck my year that was retrofitted:
Picture 55 of 94 from Ford F-Trucks

Now that's how you install HID's!!

I'll be getting this project rolling soon as my projectors come in. I'll be posting step by step pics and details through out the retrofit. This is my first HID retrofit, so take it easy on me! If anybody has a done a retrofit themselves and has some helpful pointers, feel free to chime in.

Last edited by mts678; 05-30-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: added pic's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

buump
Nobody has retrofitted hid's before?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just don't think anybody is that interested in going to all the time and expense. Not to mention cutting into several hundred dollar headlights. Especially OEM harley lights which some people paid $500-$600 for. Install your HID kit, point them down a bit, no flashing, problem solved. But good job on what you're doing.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Just don't think anybody is that interested in going to all the time and expense. Not to mention cutting into several hundred dollar headlights. Especially OEM harley lights which some people paid $500-$600 for. Install your HID kit, point them down a bit, no flashing, problem solved. But good job on what you're doing.
the cutting is minimal..and your talking a few hours depending on which projector you choose to use..less time consuming than doing a coolant flush! and easier..

LOL sorry but that is terrible advice for people to use hid's " install your HID kit, pint them down a bit? Problem not solved, you have an incorrect lighting system and it's pointed down giving incorrect lighting coverage.

Plain and simple- if you want to use HID's, do it right..it's the same concept as whenever you do any other mod to these trucks- you don't do a half assed head stud job do ya?

Last edited by mts678; 05-30-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
the cutting is minimal..and your talking a few hours depending on which projector you choose to use..less time consuming than doing a coolant flush! and easier..

LOL sorry but that is terrible advice for people to use hid's " install your HID kit, pint them down a bit? Problem not solved, you have an incorrect lighting system and it's pointed down giving incorrect lighting coverage.

Plain and simple- if you want to use HID's, do it right..it's the same concept as whenever you do any other mod to these trucks- you don't do a half assed head stud job do ya?
You may call it horrible, but it's advice that works. I wouldn't do a half assed stud job, I pay somebody to do it for me.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not only do projectors look horrible on trucks, but what a waste of money. Like the previous poster said, who wants to put $5-600 into the housing and another $200 into lights. And you haven't even addressed the fog lamps at that point. I love my HIDs in the stock housing.. They put out way whiter and brighter light than my stock bulbs. And for the times that I need more light i have my light-force lights.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernl View Post
Not only do projectors look horrible on trucks, but what a waste of money. Like the previous poster said, who wants to put $5-600 into the housing and another $200 into lights. And you haven't even addressed the fog lamps at that point. I love my HIDs in the stock housing.. They put out way whiter and brighter light than my stock bulbs. And for the times that I need more light i have my light-force lights.
Projector headlights look horrible on trucks- the ones on ebay look like sh!t..but adding in a simple projector, and the type of shroud that is chosen totally effects the look of the projector- there's over 25 different shrouds for projectors! and you can change the color of the projector..

anyway, I'm not trying to make anybody like my project, it's just something i'm doing to provide better lighting. The projector will provide WAY better lighting than just adding an hid bulb into an unmodified halogen housing.

I got stock oem pair of headlights for $100.00, the true HID kit ran $315.00 $415 into the headlights...**** an Edge CTS monitor and get pryro is about equal to that haha

Like I said, i'm not trying to make people like what i'm doing, but it's the right and legal way to convert to HID lighting, if your not using projectors then your lighting isn't legal or correct for that matter- and your prone to getting pulled over and cited. Fvck that my friend..
Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 AM

This is the right way to do it for sure. A friend who owns a high end stereo shop is using projectors from Acuras and has done a couple of trucks that turned out damn nice. The difference between having a correctly aimed projector and a set of HID's in an OEM housing is huge. Even if the latter is aimed so its not blinding other drivers. I'd do it in a heartbeat but it ain't cheap and I have a couple of stereo mods that are higher on the priority list. I'll be following this one.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:50 AM

I don't know where you live, but it's not illegal where I live to put HIDs in a stock housing.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 AM
Premium Member

A projector with a cut-off line, yep, that's intelligent. That is absolutely the most dangerous lighting technology in use anywhere! Those cut-offs do exactly that, they block 100% of the light. What is lit is bright for sure, but what is not directly in the beam is pitch black. The only place they are safe for use is on lighted city streets. There are roads that I travel that you frequently have less than two car lengths of visibility in front of you with those cut-offs, and that's pretty frukin scary when there's little to no moonlight helping! I sold my last Vette and my wifes CX-7 because night time visability is just too important. Recommending that people block half of their headlight beam is monumental stupidity, nothing else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.