Wiring a camper shell light - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Wiring a camper shell light

Hi all,

I just put a fiberglass camper shell on my 07 F250. It has wiring for the 3rd brake light and an internal courtesy light. In my old truck I just took a 4 pin trailer connector and tapped onto the brake light on the drivers side to get power for the 3rd brake light and got power from the tail lights to turn on the light inside the shell. In other words to light up inside the camper shell I had to have the parking lights on and then flipped the switch on the camper light.

I would like to wire this so that when I turn on the interior lights in the truck, the camper courtesy light would come on. Is there an easy spot to tap into?? I thought about the cargo lights but it looks like a nightmare to get wiring to it.

Any ideas???

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tap in behind the dimmer on the dash.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:39 AM
Premium Member

For the brake light, you may already have wiring. Look under bed on the drivers side by the rear bumper, for a green wire that is marked as high mount brake light.

My truck had a connector looped up in the rear driver's side stake pocket for the brake light left by previous owner.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
yep, you will have a spare wire already powered up for the thrid brake light. Mine was down taped to the wire bundle on the driver side frame right by the spare tire. I ran that up to the light and grounded the other side of it. As far as the light, I just ran a power wire from the battery down the frame to the back. (fused and loomed it all). There is no non switched 12 volt power at the back of the truck. My cap has a switch so I just ran it to the built in switch. My advice if you go this route is run at least a 10 guage wire back there in case you want to tap off it in the future for something else. If you are sure you will never need any more 12 volt, just run a 14 gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.