Please help: High idle wiring problem, working on it now - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 06:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please help: High idle wiring problem, working on it now

Hello,

I attempted to do the high idle mod today with no success.

Here is what I did:

I connected wire 322 (lt blue yellow strip) to the "power" post of the toggle switch
I connected wire 294 (white/Lt blue strip) to the "acc" post of the toggle switch
I connected a ground wire to the ground post of the switch

When I turn the truck on I do not get anything. No power coming from wire 294, and no light on the toggle switch

I read the directions on the dan.prxy site and it said "when 12 volts is applied to wire 322 the high idle is activated" so i disconnected the wire from 294 and connected the "acc" wire from the toggle switch to a keyed on power source. When I turned the truck on the fuse blew. Still no high idle.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 12:17 PM

Anyone? I know plenty of you have done the high idle mod, someone has got to have some input?

Please and Thank you.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:38 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

For testing purposes, don't ground the toggle switch. Yes the lighted switch won't light up, but that's not the issue right now. You need to make sure that you have the wiring correct.

I would just connect the wires directly, for right now, and see if you get anything. That's a sure fire way to tell. Make sure your foot is off the brake and set the parking brake. If the high idle starts, then you have the correct wires. If not, then your wires are not correct or you blew additional fuses when you applied ground to the positive wire.

I'm guessing you are using a cheap autopart store toggle switch... That may be the problem too. Those things suck. I suggest something like this:

Good Luck!
Old 05-14-2012, 08:47 AM

When i get home I will connect wire 322 to wire 294 while it is idling and see if it revs to 1175 to 1200ish. Im under the impression the park brake does NOT have to be applied to achieve high idle.

I forgot to mention: While I was troubleshooting I did put a test light on the wire 294 and was not getting any voltage. That was why I connected 322 directly to a switched source. (Does 322 and 294 HAVE to be touching in order for the high idle to work?)

Once I did that and the fuse blew at the swiched point was where I stopped and went inside to make this thread.

Yes the toggle switch im using is fairly cheap. Its a stainless steel with green LED. Nothing too special but since the amperage is nill I wasnt nervous about using it.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

you need the parking brake on for the mod to work.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 AM

Ok, thank you for letting me know. Ive read conflicting posts on multiple forums...but thats the nature of the beast with forums..
Old 05-19-2012, 06:17 PM

I connected the two wires today. Nothing. Parking brake on, truck running at idle, touch wires and not a damn thing. With or without the switch I cant get the high idle mod to work.

Any other advice?
Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock-9 View Post
I connected the two wires today. Nothing. Parking brake on, truck running at idle, touch wires and not a damn thing. With or without the switch I cant get the high idle mod to work.

Any other advice?
You'll have to track down a maxi fuse or relay for the PTO now. I don't know what is used in your year truck.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkrum View Post
you need the parking brake on for the mod to work.
I do not have to have the parking brake applied, i think 05 and up need p-brake applied there is a fuse in that circuit from what i remember.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 PM

Where does wire 294 go? That thing is so well hidden above the OBD-II port and behind the dash.....what a PITA. If its connected to a fuse somewhere (i hope) im willing to try that. If not then im going to give up.

What a bummer deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.