trailer wiring 911 need help asap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation trailer wiring 911 need help asap

ok folks, i have a major problem that i need to get fixed asap, i have work to do and i can't do it with out having trailer brakes.

so, what happened was, my trailer plug on the truck side shorted out. i was on the highway and my trailer brakes came on with out me applying the brakes. after a short look, i noticed that the plug on the truck side rotted out and the wires shorted. after i got home and put a new plug on, i had no trailer brakes. all of my other lights work,(brake, turn and running) i can put 12v to the trailer side of the brakes and they work. now, i have never seen this before - when i apply the trailer brakes from the controller ( not applying the truck brakes) the truck and trailer brake lights come on, but no trailer brakes. the little indicator light on the controller doesn't come on either. i replaced a mini fuse, one of the 30amp pink fuse and 2 relays under the hood. one other thing, when i have everything hooked up, and drive in reverse, the trailer brakes come on 100%, but there is still nothing that comes up on the brake controller. i have tried 2 different controllers as well.
please any help is needed!!!

thanks
Chris.
post #2 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If they're engaging in reverse and not forward, there might be an internal issue mechanically.
Also, the brake controller shouldn't activate the brake lights. Someone wired it wrong.

2000 F-350 Lariat Super Duty, Dually, CCLB, 7.3L
4R100, 2wd
330,000 + miles
post #3 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
If they're engaging in reverse and not forward, there might be an internal issue mechanically.
Also, the brake controller shouldn't activate the brake lights. Someone wired it wrong.
everything worked 100% before the plug shorted out. when i manually apply the trailer brakes (from the controller) that turns on the brake lights
post #4 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 PM

I understand. But those lights shouldn't come on from manual engagement. But anyway.
Try a diff trailer. Then you can rule out the truck or trailer.

2000 F-350 Lariat Super Duty, Dually, CCLB, 7.3L
4R100, 2wd
330,000 + miles
post #5 of 8 Old 03-16-2012, 09:31 PM

I like the idea of trying another trailer.

Also, ground problems can cause some really weird stuff to happen.
Power will back feed through other circuits and cause them to try and function but normally with
less voltage.

Double check your pin chart to make sure you have the right wires in place, then check your ground connection.

Lee

2000 F250 PSD SCSB 4X4 418k miles straight pipe gauges 2" leveling kit 315/75r16's
6637 with custom intake pipe. TS Performance 6 position chip!
[/URL]

Please don't confuse my attitude with my personality.. my personality is who I am,my attitude depends on who you are...
post #6 of 8 Old 03-17-2012, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_loctite View Post
ok folks, i have a major problem that i need to get fixed asap, i have work to do and i can't do it with out having trailer brakes.

so, what happened was, my trailer plug on the truck side shorted out. i was on the highway and my trailer brakes came on with out me applying the brakes. after a short look, i noticed that the plug on the truck side rotted out and the wires shorted. after i got home and put a new plug on, i had no trailer brakes. all of my other lights work,(brake, turn and running) i can put 12v to the trailer side of the brakes and they work. now, i have never seen this before - when i apply the trailer brakes from the controller ( not applying the truck brakes) the truck and trailer brake lights come on, but no trailer brakes. the little indicator light on the controller doesn't come on either. i replaced a mini fuse, one of the 30amp pink fuse and 2 relays under the hood. one other thing, when i have everything hooked up, and drive in reverse, the trailer brakes come on 100%, but there is still nothing that comes up on the brake controller. i have tried 2 different controllers as well.
please any help is needed!!!

thanks
Chris.
I had the same problem a couple of months ago while hauling my race car. Everything worked great until it started raining. The trailer lights would work, but the brake controller would not recognize the trailer brakes via error message.

Even though the harness side on the truck looked like it could be upgraded soon, the problem was the wiring on the trailer. When the rain hit the exposed wires, it caused the short. Check the trailer wiring first.

2015 F-450 King Ranch SuperCrew 6.7 FX4
Weathertech Floor Mats, Weathertech Window Vents, Valentine One Radar Hardwired, 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Package w/Factory Fifth Wheel, Upfitters, Line-X, Moonroof, Clearance Lights, Block Heater, DeeZee Low Profile Tool Box, Roll N Lock.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you have your brakes activating in reverse you may have your brake signal shorted to the reverse light pin. All 7-ways have a reverse light connection but I can't remember the pin. With KOEO try putting into reverse and listening for the magnets at each wheel. 4 brakes will draw 10-12 amps in my experience so I'm not sure if that would pop your reverse light fuse or not. Worth a try!

Be aware that there are two versions of 7-way plug wiring. The colors of wires on the trailer also changed in the early 2000's.

Every brake controller I've used (including the Tow Command in my '06) will light the brake lights when the manual button is pushed over. The lights on the truck and trailer both light up. My old truck had an add-on box and it would light the brake lights with the key off if you slide the manual button.

2006 F350 PSD Lariat 4x4 SRW, 4" MBRP straight pipe, SCT X3 w/ ID Tunes, Edge Insight CTS, Sinister Coolant Filter, High Idle, Red
2013 F250 6.2L 4x4 (work truck) Factory E-locker, Warn Trans4mer M12000
1995 Mustang Cobra 5.0, Heads, intake, 65mm TB, headers, exhaust, 3.73s, Cobra Rs, 160k trouble-free miles, Red
2011 Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape) 2.5L, 4x4 & 27mpg= Thank you Ford, eBay heated seats, Red
'42 International K1 pickup, Green Diamond I6, 4 on floor, Red
post #8 of 8 Old 05-11-2012, 04:56 PM

Maybe if you asked E TRAILER. just maybe they might be able to solve your problem?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode