dim headlights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dim headlights

I just installed the mkm customs 05-07 headlight conversion in my 04 f350. Well the headlights aren't as bright as my old ones. Is there anything I can do to get the brightness back to the original intensity? I've seen upgraded wiring harnesses, but would that help with stock bulbs? Or maybe should i get an hid kit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Or maybe a better headlight housing? The ones I got were broke and I don't wanna go back to the same crappy quality if there is another aftermarket that's any better
Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

The headlights in my 06 were dull do I swapped them out for Hids did the fog lights as well my oem housing puts out a ton of light I just think the halogen bulbs suck whatever u do stay away from those projector style headlights there horrible which one did u actually buy
Old 03-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Btw I think I see the ones u bought but idk maybe there reflector is bad. Also remember the 05-07 use h13 bulbs which are hi and low in one bulb so if u but an bid kit make sure u get a bi-xenon hid kit in the 5k or 6k color range for max light output and nice color
Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They are the harley style with the leds in the center. Not to fond of these but they came with the grille. I was thinkin of gettin a harley style I found on eBay and an h13 hid kit to try any fix the issue. I have the 9007 bulbs now and is even used in the new headlights. Is there an adapter so i won't have to splice wires if I have to switch to the h13's?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Premium Member

9007-9008 H13 Plug & Play Conversion Pigtails ..........these will be perfect with HIDs
Old 03-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks! Is there an hid kit you would recommend?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehammer112 View Post
Thanks! Is there an hid kit you would recommend?
I buy all of my kits from DDM Tuning. They own a factory in China and manufacture their own stuff and why their cost is lower. I have not had any problems from any set I have ordered over the years - probably 10 sets of HID's.

The shipping is slow because it is shipped directly from their factory in China, so might want to take that into consideration. Their kits have a lifetime warranty.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Ap...Raptor-HID-Kit

I would recommend 4300K if you want the whitest light and best output. This is the temperature that most oem cars run like BMW and Porsche. The higher you go, then the light will be more blue and vision at night will be hampered by this.

I ordered the Spyder projector kit that pretty much has crappy projector lenses. I installed a set on my brother's Landcruiser and the cutoff was bad, even with HID's installed. So, I took my lights apart yesterday and retrofitted some Lexus projector lenses into the Spyder housing. This should take care of the cutoff and overall quality of light output. To me, it is worth it because I will now have better light output compared to my stock headlights with HID's. Additionally, it is not a good idea to use HID's in a reflector lens housing because the light is refracted in many directions instead of focused like a projector. SO, the scattered light tends to blind oncoming traffic. I get many people flashing me and I know I am pi$$ing them off. It is extremely dangerous when driving on country roads, which I do allot, because people are literally blinded.

That said, I will post pics of my install once i get them in later this week. I ordered the HID's from DDM last Tuesday and they will be here this Friday. The housings are all done and ready to go in.

Lexus projectors retrofitted into the Spyder Housings...

This is the Lexus housing. I put the original Spyder Projectors back into these for future projects. The Spyder lenses appear to be similar to the Lexus lenses, but the optics (quality of glass and manufacturing of the lens) are nowhere near the same.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

great job on the headlights mmm635! It is nice to see someone doing a proper HID conversion.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The 05 up uses the H13 which is quite possibly the stupidest design for a bulb ever foisted on the public. The terminals are so small that they overheat, even at stock wattages, and melt the plastic housing of the connectors. Higher than stock wattage bulbs are offered, but not recommended. There are Chinese connectors that are being used to make these kits and no harness will fix the problem of to small of terminals. As of now no USA made plugs are made that I have seen and wouldn't solve the problem anyway.

You can have the best headlight housings made now '02-04 and the addition of our USA made harness and a set of Hella 80/100w 4k kelvin bulbs will give you fantastic lighting.

You can also do a fog bulb upgrade..75% as bright as Hids and mod the switch to use them with your high beams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.