I have a headlight issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 10-21-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a headlight issue

So my headlights dont come on all the time for some reason. They will come on when I pull the lever towards be in the bright position but I have to hold it. Sometimes they work and sometimes not. Anyone else have a bad switch on these or know what else is the culprit?

2003 6.0 F350 dually on high cholesterol fuel (WVO)
2000 7.3 Excursion also on a high cholesterol fuel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 10-25-2011, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke Techie

So this morning they lights came on and as soon as I backed out of the drive, they went off. The fog lights stayed on so I could still see okay but I have to pull the turn signal lever forward like when your flashing your brights at someone and I hold it and the brights stay on but if I let it go, they go off completely. What do you think this could be? A bad switch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 41 Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I haven't seen or heard of this problem directly, but to me it sounds like a short / switch connectivity issue. As far as diagnosis I'd try the following:

1. Check all fuses (both under dash and hood) to make sure they have good connectivity and none are burnt out
2. Check all harness / wiring connections (switches, headlight blubs, fog light bulbs, etc)
3. See if you can accuartely reproduce the issue (i.e. do the headlights work when you turn them "On" instead of the switch on "auto", does jiggling the switch cause them to come on, do the same with the high beam switch, etc)

Also make sure you check your trailer plug harness as well as if there's any frayed / cut lines there it could be shorting the system out.

Anyways, that's where I'd start to make sure the bases are covered for something quick and simple being the culprit. If none of those work then we're on to the next steps:

Are any other lights affected? Turn signals, parking lights, brake lights, backup lights, etc, etc? If not then we've narrowed down our focus. If it's strictly head light related then we have 3 main things to focus on:

1. Fuses (already checked above)
2. Connections (already checked above)
3. Faulty "high beam" switch (this would be the first culprit I would suspect if it's just your headlights being affected and not your parking lights, turn signals, brake lights, etc)

Hope that at least gets you off on the right track.

~JW aka "Acidsniper"

2006 King Ranch CCSB FX4
MBRP 5" Turbo Back
DC Power 270 Amp Alternator
Airaid CAI
Edge CTS
Bushwackers
Recon mirror lenses
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
T6 & Rev-X

Proud Navy Vet

post #4 of 41 Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh... also check your bulbs themselves too. I've had bulb filaments break and will intermittantly get a connection so sometimes they would work and other times they wouldn't unless the little filament bounced up and got a connection. Just take the bulbs out and give them a light jiggle to make sure the filaments are soundly connected still.

~JW aka "Acidsniper"

2006 King Ranch CCSB FX4
MBRP 5" Turbo Back
DC Power 270 Amp Alternator
Airaid CAI
Edge CTS
Bushwackers
Recon mirror lenses
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
T6 & Rev-X

Proud Navy Vet

post #5 of 41 Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am with him. Check the filaments and check continuity in all the wires when they are working and when they are not.

Project Frankenstein

1997 Ford F-350, Dually conversion, Cobra 29 LX CB, 12000 watt converter, All LED lights, TW tunes, 4" DP, Napa Intake, coolant filter, 140cc Injectors and lots of running lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLOSIV View Post
Thanks. I'll give er a good wackin in the morning.
post #6 of 41 Old 10-25-2011, 10:08 AM
FJuanfiddy mod

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
bad multifunction switch.

Email:

2011 F150 Ecoboost Crew cab lariat. Custom tunes from KEM and 5Star, and Unleashed
2012 F150 Crew Cab Ecoboost stock for now-Totaled March 12 2015
2006 F250 ECSB Lariat 4x4

Leveling kit, 315/70/17 Kelly TSRs on Method race wheels
ARP studs and OEM gaskets done by Renegade Diesel
ECM and Atlas 40 FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes by Truck Source Diesel. Gearhead, Innovative, Wildman and Tyrant diesel
Flowmaster/MBRP Hybrid Exhaust
Edge Insight CTS
Coolant filter
Bulletproof diesel FICM EGR Delete, Oil Cooler and Water Pump, and Light bar.
Dually LED lights from Stealth Automotive/Xpedition Outfitters
No Limit Fab 6.0 Cold Air Intake

post #7 of 41 Old 10-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Rob
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
My money is also on the multi-function switch. This very same issue came up on a dodge Dakota I used to have. New switch= no more light problem.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
(Fortune Favors The Bold)

The Org. Staff reserves the right to
move, modify, delete or merge threads/posts
at our discretion, without explanation
at any time.
post #8 of 41 Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Switch contacts are dying. Replace the switch.

David
2012 CCSB SRW FX4
2.5" Level, Amp Steps
post #9 of 41 Old 10-25-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke Techie

I have lights when I pull the colunm lever back like when I flash my brights so that means bulbs are good and so are fuses. I have no lights with dash switch on auto or manual but I do when the column switch if pulled back so that eliminates the photo cell based on this wiring diagram and also points to the column switch I think. Right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-01-10_200656_07_f-350_headlamp_wiring_diagram.jpg
Views:	1522
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	29893  

post #10 of 41 Old 10-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Rob
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
You are correct. This is exactly what I dealt with before. Change out the lever, and you will be good to go.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
(Fortune Favors The Bold)

The Org. Staff reserves the right to
move, modify, delete or merge threads/posts
at our discretion, without explanation
at any time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode