I have a headlight issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 01:28 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a headlight issue

So my headlights dont come on all the time for some reason. They will come on when I pull the lever towards be in the bright position but I have to hold it. Sometimes they work and sometimes not. Anyone else have a bad switch on these or know what else is the culprit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 04:47 AM
I don't know nuttin....

So this morning they lights came on and as soon as I backed out of the drive, they went off. The fog lights stayed on so I could still see okay but I have to pull the turn signal lever forward like when your flashing your brights at someone and I hold it and the brights stay on but if I let it go, they go off completely. What do you think this could be? A bad switch?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I haven't seen or heard of this problem directly, but to me it sounds like a short / switch connectivity issue. As far as diagnosis I'd try the following:

1. Check all fuses (both under dash and hood) to make sure they have good connectivity and none are burnt out
2. Check all harness / wiring connections (switches, headlight blubs, fog light bulbs, etc)
3. See if you can accuartely reproduce the issue (i.e. do the headlights work when you turn them "On" instead of the switch on "auto", does jiggling the switch cause them to come on, do the same with the high beam switch, etc)

Also make sure you check your trailer plug harness as well as if there's any frayed / cut lines there it could be shorting the system out.

Anyways, that's where I'd start to make sure the bases are covered for something quick and simple being the culprit. If none of those work then we're on to the next steps:

Are any other lights affected? Turn signals, parking lights, brake lights, backup lights, etc, etc? If not then we've narrowed down our focus. If it's strictly head light related then we have 3 main things to focus on:

1. Fuses (already checked above)
2. Connections (already checked above)
3. Faulty "high beam" switch (this would be the first culprit I would suspect if it's just your headlights being affected and not your parking lights, turn signals, brake lights, etc)

Hope that at least gets you off on the right track.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 AM

Oh... also check your bulbs themselves too. I've had bulb filaments break and will intermittantly get a connection so sometimes they would work and other times they wouldn't unless the little filament bounced up and got a connection. Just take the bulbs out and give them a light jiggle to make sure the filaments are soundly connected still.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am with him. Check the filaments and check continuity in all the wires when they are working and when they are not.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
bad multifunction switch.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
My money is also on the multi-function switch. This very same issue came up on a dodge Dakota I used to have. New switch= no more light problem.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 AM

Switch contacts are dying. Replace the switch.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't know nuttin....

I have lights when I pull the colunm lever back like when I flash my brights so that means bulbs are good and so are fuses. I have no lights with dash switch on auto or manual but I do when the column switch if pulled back so that eliminates the photo cell based on this wiring diagram and also points to the column switch I think. Right?
Attached Thumbnails
I have a headlight issue-2011-01-10_200656_07_f-350_headlamp_wiring_diagram.jpg  
Old 10-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
You are correct. This is exactly what I dealt with before. Change out the lever, and you will be good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.