iPad / Xoom install (high res pics) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
iPad / Xoom install (high res pics)

I have a 2006 F250 Crew and I am an electronics nut. I've had Pioneer, Kenwood and OEM navigation units installed. They worked, but I always found myself going to my mobile phone for directions, traffic or what's nearby.

I decided to install a Motorola Xoom tablet into my truck. I chose the Xoom over the iPad because Apple sucks. Android and Google are way more user friendly and everything works with them, unlike Apple where every accessory is special and navigation was a joke. With the Xoom you get full Google navigation, traffic, etc. With the iPad, they didn't give you full Google nav because Android is a competitor and you had to go 3rd party. Bottom line it was a personal preference. If you are an Apple fan, then that's the way to go. I hope this helps.

Motorolla Xoom 10" tablet getting internet from phone. Once installed I'll get wireless service from Verizon. For now it's tethering off of the phone.

Pioneer DEH-7300BT single din radio (pics below). It has a front facing AUX & USB port making it easy to get sound/info from the Xoom to the radio. Why a single din? Didn't need the 2nd din and with the mount (pics below) that I am using it had to be a single din. I am using the Xoom tablet as my radio, music player, nav, etc. So I needed a basic radio and this fit the need and it had excellent BT capabilities for phone calls which the Xoom can't do (yet).

Xoom factory dock (pics below) will hold/support the bottom of the tablet. It's hard wires with a on/off switch so you're not charging it all day.

ELM OBD BT thingy. This works great and under $20 on ebay! To get one to work with Apple you gotta spend triple the amount and it's a 50/50 to get it working. With Android and open BlueTooth, this hooked up in 30 seconds.

Torque Android application. Free from Android Market. Monitoring the BT OBD sensor. Still playing around with this. There is a bunch of stuff you can do.

I am right in the middle of the install Saturday 08/11 at 4PM. Taking a break. See 2nd post for updated pics. See 3rd post for vid.

The dash we're so familiar with. Because I was using the phone more then a nav, I got rid of the Ford Navi and used the money to fund this project. Thing is, this way is cheaper!

The Motorola Xoom. Play around with an Android tablet then play with the iPad. See which one is easier.

This is where I wanted it installed. In order to do this, I'd have to move the AC unit, then install the radio into that slot, then move the trailer brake someplace else. It wasn't going to work.

This is the mount that is going to secure the Xoom into place. Yes it's fugly, but it'll get covered in gray suede and painted to match shortly.

This angle shows more of the mount. The long sides will screw into the cage where the radio goes and will be very secure with no movement. Going to use 2 screws per side to make sure it's sturdy.

This is the custom mount with the OEM Motorola desktop cradle. It charges the Xoom (going to be hardwired with on/off switch) and has a AUX out.

This is how it's going to mount (sorry, not a good photo).

Another view of the mount, showing how much it'll stick out.

The ELM BlueTooth OBD thingy. Cheap and works perfectly! Not needed for the install but works with a dashboard app to get temps, PSI, etc.

The Pioneer radio. Cheap. Has excellent working BT. Most importantly has front facing AUX & USB ports. Cheaper then having no radio, plus has a CD with MP3. It made the install a LOT easier.

The main reason for this radio. Front AUX/USB.

How it's going to mount up. Yes, it's ugly but the aluminum is going to be covered in gray suede and it'll dress up nicely.

My BABIES. I love them.

Updates later tonight or tomorrow. Will show vids of dash apps, etc.

Last edited by Fat Tony; 10-08-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2011, 02:03 PM

The install is done. I ran into a few obstacles during the installation. I was going to install the radio in the bottom din, then put the tablet in the top din. The problem was the Xoom would sit too high above the dash and I didn't like it that high. We had to move the AC unit and install the radio in it's place, then move the AC unit to the top din with the Xoom in the bottom din.

It doesn't look so hot. But it works perfectly. I still need to cover the aluminum mount in suede, haven't got around to it yet. We hard wired the charging dock with an on off switch.

Here you can see the mount without the tablet. Notice the AC unit and radio swapped places.

The mount only sticks out about 3/4 of an inch.

This is the first time using the mount. This is how it sits, brightness is up at about 35%.

This is when it dims down. Still need to play with settings.

It doesn't look as good as I thought it would, but it works perfectly. I'm one of a few guys to attempt this so be easy on me if you think it looks like crap. In time I'll play around with it and make it look better.

I really want to mount it flush inside the dash. Now that I "rigged" it to work, I'm realizing that for another three hundred and two or three more days I would have made it fully custom. After Christmas I'll start over and make something custom. I've only got 80K on the odometer and I just got title not too long ago. Truck is going to be with me for a long time so might as well do it right this time.

Last edited by Fat Tony; 10-10-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:07 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Might want to try adding the extension to the end of the url in the img tags

Last edited by ..::ryan::..; 10-08-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:11 PM

RESERVED FOR UPDATES
Old 10-08-2011, 02:19 PM

ya pics dont work
Old 10-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

I see pics. Looking good.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:55 PM

Now i see them! looks good man. Wanna make me one!? lol nice job
Old 10-08-2011, 05:09 PM

Also installing a remote start alarm. Final install may be delayed until Monday night. Alarm is harder than the installer thought.

I AM NOT INSTALLING. I am merely a helper monkey. Tape. Cutting wire. Praying. Etc.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:19 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
interested to see this one.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:14 AM

Looks interesting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.