Wiring Aux Lights - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wiring Aux Lights

OK, I've found a few threads close to this but need some clarification. I plan to wire aux lights at the hitch for additional light. I want them switch controled from the dash and also to come on when in reverse. Is it possible to hook power up like shown below without causing a backfeed of power to the other source?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 PM

I'm sorry I can't see your picture. The filter at work eats it and all I see is a red X. From what I understand what your wanting to do is control the lamps from two sources. This will work fine but you will have to add a diode. This will let current pass in only one direction. That will prevent you from backfeeding.They are cheap. You could get by with using only 1 in the wire to the "brake on" wire, but as cheap as they are I would also put one in the wire to the dash mounted switch.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What I would do is use a on-on or on-off-on switch and a relay. The wiring is the same for both, just depends on if you want an off position on the switch.

Lets assume the switch is single pole on-off-on with three contacts on the back 1,2,3 from top to bottom. With the switch in down position 1 is connected to 2 and 3 is open, in the off position all are open, in the up position 2 is connected to 3 and 1 is open. 2 will be the output to the relay which will turn on the lights. 1 is connected to the reverse light 12v. 3 is connected to 12v constant. What you will end up with is in the down position the aux lights will come on with the backup lights, center position is aux lights off, up position will manually turn on the aux lights.

There are many way to wire it depending on the desired results. Your diagram will work as well, just add a relay between the switch and aux lights and use an appropriate fuse.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
There are many way to wire it depending on the desired results. Your diagram will work as well, just add a relay between the switch and aux lights and use an appropriate fuse.
I am limited to an on/off switch on the dash due to the style that I already have mounted. I'm not sure that I understand the usage of an additional relay to the one already there. Using diodes, would this way work?

Old 08-26-2011, 03:23 PM

If your limited I would go the diode route. THe switch on the dash needs a hot wire on one side. The other side run a wire to the lights but before connecting it to the light connect it one side of a diode. the other side of the diode to the light. Now connect another diode to the light/diode point. Now connect the other side of this diode to the brake light. Done. Note with this method you wont be able to turn them off. They will still work with the brakes. It just gives you the option to turn them on at will.

All a diode does is act like a one way gate. You can walk through one way but not the other. Look at it closely and you sill see a band on one end. They should be tied together with both banded ends going to the light. The other side of one diode will go to the switch and the other diode loose end will go to the brake circuit. I don't know what size light you will be using, just be sure to get a diode that will handle the current.

As stated earlier you could also use a relay with your switch to switch between the two conditions. This will take 2 wires going up to the cab. One switched and one hot all the time. Also another wire to the brake lights. If you mount the realy at the light. If relay is mounted at dash you will need to get the brake wire up there.

So many ways, so many dicisions.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vip View Post
I am limited to an on/off switch on the dash due to the style that I already have mounted. I'm not sure that I understand the usage of an additional relay to the one already there. Using diodes, would this way work?

Like I said there are many ways to make this work. Your diagram will work, just check to see if the backup lights are positive or negative switched and match it with the same from your new switch.

The way you could do it with two relays vs diodes is to parallel the input and output of both relays, have one activated by the manual switch and the other by the backup lights. It would essentially be a OR circuit where either one or both "switches" can power the backup lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.