Sound System on 2005 Lariat - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sound System on 2005 Lariat

I have a 2005 F250 Lariat quad cab. I want to get more info on the stock sound system. I bought it new and believe it to be the premium sound system. I got an indash 6 disc changer. The quality is so crappy though. Are the speakers weak or is it the deck that is weak? I know that if you have decent speakers but a crappy deck the sound comes our crappy and vice versa. What would you guys recommend I change? I want a good sound with some good bass. Nothing crazy but just better than what I have now.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 05:05 PM

Id vote for changing the speakers first. I have a 05 with the same 6 disc changer you have. First thing I did to the truck was take that out and install a Pioneer in dash DVD/GPS and I didn't notice any difference in sound quality and I wasn't expecting one. Ive been meaning to find the money to change the factory speakers out and that is where I'm expecting a noticeable change.

My buddy has a 2004 and I just helped him change his speakers this weekend. He still has a factory cd player in his truck and we both were blown away with the difference in sound quality after putting in new speakers. The factory speakers in his 04 were 25 watts. He put jl audio speakers in the front that were rated at 140 watts and jvc speakers in the rear rated at 90 watts.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well like you said if you want decent sound you're gonna have to at least replace the deck and speakers... As for bass (and depending on how much you want to spend) there are a couple of options, some guys have SP2K box behind their back seat, and as for me I splurged and went with the JL stealthbox, that fits under my backseat and I love it. If you just do speaker and a deck its doable for under $500, add a sub to it and it will mostly likely be over $1k. Here is what I did if you interested.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

for decent quality you need both radio and speakers. If u change just the speakers the radio is still only going to put out the few watts that its capable of. changing just the h/u is going to overpower the stock speakers and make them distort. do them both and for best sound quality get a 4channel amp and go nuts
Old 07-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Time for stereo upgrade. Which components for best sound/price?

Above is the link to the thread I started and you can see what I did. Just look at your budget and piece it together. If you shop ebay, amazon, and sometimes just google, you can find all of your stuff at half the retail cost. I looked at crutchfield at all of the reviews for different door speakers and it helped me decide on the polk audio MM571. The SPL2K box and Pioneer TS-SW3001S4 sub (recommended by Michael, aka SPL2K) was half the cost of the Stealthbox. Now the stealthbox is nice, just expensive and you lose the tray. The amp - get a good 5-channel amp to power everything. You don't need a billion watts. Pick out your headunit. Don't forget all of the other crap that goes along with it - dash kit, factory harness adapter, RCA audio interconnects, good speaker wire (I used almost 50'), steering wheel control interface, backup camera. All in all, for less than $1500 you can have a rockin system where you feel like you are in the music.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:30 PM

If a headunit and new speakers run around $500, how much more for sub and amp stealth box or SP2k box? what is the difference between stealth and sp2k? Also, did you guys do the install yourselves and order your parts or through a shop? Not much of an electronics guys here
Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
stealth can fit under your backseat or center concole and the SP2K goes behind your backseat. I wanted to keep the room behind my seat so I opted with the stealthbox since I dont use the racks under my seat. The SP2K is only like $250 I think (cant remember if that includes a sub) and the SB is over $700 with one of the nicest shallow subs available. I did the install myself and save $150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.