Video system going in! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In dash DVD and 15" flip down with sunroof!

My overall intentions was to install a system with full DVD support, a rear monitor for the kids without having to hack into my KR seats and dual zone support so the kids can watch their movies while the wife and I can listen to whatever we want while still having full Bluetooth support for hands free driving. One of the big reasons for going with a monitor only setup is our kids love to scratch the @#$* out of DVDs so by getting a dual zone DVD receiver my wife and I can control the movies up front without having to reach in the back to do anything.

My biggest obstacle is finding a rear monitor that will work with my sunroof without loosing any of its functionality. After far too much searching around and visiting about 20 install places around town I found both a shop and a unit that will work perfectly with the sunroof (with some slight bracing needed) and still provide full functionality. The shop said they've done a couple installs like this in the past and had all 4 of their installers looking it over to make sure it could be done. We'll see!

The list:

Head Unit
Pioneer AVH-P3200BT
AVH-P3200BT - In-Dash Double-DIN DVD Multimedia AV Receiver with Built-in Bluetooth and 5.8" Widescreen Display | Pioneer Electronics USA

Monitor
Farenheit T-1502CM 15.2" Monitor (made by Epsilon)
Farenheit T-1502CM

Scosche FD23B Wiring Harness
03+ FORD PWR/4-SPKR HARN

Scosche FD1426B Double DIN Install Kit
2004 - up Ford Double ISO DIN Kit

Satechi CR-3600 iPhone dash mount
Amazon.com: Satechi CR -3600 car holder mount for iPhone 4, 3G & 3Gs, BlackBerry Torch, HTC EVO, DROID, Samsung EPIC on Windshield and Dashboard: Electronics Amazon.com: Satechi CR -3600 car holder mount for iPhone 4, 3G & 3Gs, BlackBerry Torch, HTC EVO, DROID, Samsung EPIC on Windshield and Dashboard: Electronics

Pioneer CD-IU50V USB Interface Cable (to allow streaming movies from my iPhone into the head unit)
CD-IU50V - iPodŽ/iPhoneŽ USB Interface Cable for AVIC, AVH, and MVH Models | Pioneer Electronics USA

Metra Axxess ASWC Steering Wheel Controls (allows my steering wheel audio controls to retain their functionality)
Vehicle Fit Guide

The links above are to the product's manufacturer websites (if available) not to where I bought everything (primarily Amazon, NewEgg and others).

Buying everything, shipping and installation is going to be $1,291.14. Not too bad at all considering the kiddos are getting a 15" monitor and the wife and I are getting more enjoyable road trips!

The last of the parts are shipping this week and should arrive by the end of the month so I'll post pics after I get everything installed. I haven't seen any or heard of any 15ish" rear video installations with sunroofs so figured I'd put this out there for those wondering if it can be done.

Last edited by Acidsniper; 07-01-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 05:51 AM

Great info. I have a KR w/sunroof as well and have been wondering if this was even possible. I am the DFW area also, mind if I ask what shop you are using, and after it is done if you are still happy?

I have been struggling to find an install place for a variety of things on my to do list. Too many of them just seem fly by night and shady in general.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:28 AM

Yeah I did a lot of research on shops in the metroplex. I'm in the South Arlington area and drove all the way out to McKinney to check one shop out haha.

The shop I'm going with is Mobile Sound Systems in Arlington off Cooper. They're the ones I kept getting referred to and the reviews I could find about them on the web were stellar. From what I could find they've been around for a long time too (their website says 1979).

I dealt with Travis there and he wasn't pushy at all, talked me through options, alternates, made sure I had all the right parts ordered (even though he would have made more had I bought them through the shop instead of online) and has called back every time he said he would.

We'll see how the install goes but if it's anything like the "customer service experience" I got there then I have no doubt they'll knock it out of the park. He said turnaround time would be a day tops for the install once they have everything in hand. I'll post up a bunch of pics once I get the install done which will either be late next week or after the 4th weekend (da*n you UPS deliver quicker!!).
Old 06-22-2011, 07:01 AM

Good deal. Hope it all shakes at as well as you are hoping. Definitely can't wait to see the pics once complete.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:59 AM

So I got the last of the parts on Tuesday and the install is scheduled for today. Dropping the truck off in an hour to let them work their magic. Will update again once the install is done and let you know how it went / looks / etc!
Old 07-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Alright so the install is done and it turned out awesome! Kiddos were loving the drive home haha. Bluetooth worked amazingly and the dual zone is awesome, kids can watch their movies with infrared headsets while I can listen to whatever I want or take calls through the truck speakers.

Overall the video quality is awesome for the rear monitor and the head unit. There is some very slight movement from the monitor when hitting a big bump on the highway but that's somewhat expected. Just driving down the road there's almost no movement at all.

I would recommend this place to anyone in the metroplex looking to get a setup like this installed.

Head unit installed:

Head unit showing iPhone mount:

Rear 15" Monitor from middle seat:

Monitor Open:

Monitor Closed:

From the front open:

From the front closed:
Old 07-01-2011, 06:17 PM
The Warden

That is a super nice set-up.I found this thread doing a seach for double din installs. I have a avic z-130bt in the box.I am hoping to do the installation myself,just looking for some tips. Do you know where eles I can look
Old 07-01-2011, 07:30 PM

Man that install turned out well. I am stoked for you. That drop down TV is huge!

I need to get off my rear and head down to Arlington to talk to these guys.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin200 View Post
That is a super nice set-up.I found this thread doing a seach for double din installs. I have a avic z-130bt in the box.I am hoping to do the installation myself,just looking for some tips. Do you know where eles I can look
The head unit installs themselves are easy. Pull your steering wheel all the way down and put your shift lever all the way into 1st gear and the top section of the dash just pops out. Just give it a little tug above the insturment cluster and it will pop right out. Disconnect all the plugs to the switches and set it aside.

Removing the stereo is as easy as 4 screws.

Use my list above regarding the wiring harness and installation kit, it'll be the same for your unit.

Best piece of advice I can give you is to install the wiring harness to your head unit while sitting at your kitchen table, will make it a lot easier than trying to wire everything up in the truck. Once you have the head unit wired up just pull the 4 screws on the old one, disconnect the harness and the antenna cable and just plug the new one in. As simple as that.

The only reason I had my installed is because I didn't want to mess with reinforcing the headliner to install the rear monitor. The deck itself is the easy part haha.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroinhouston View Post
Man that install turned out well. I am stoked for you. That drop down TV is huge!

I need to get off my rear and head down to Arlington to talk to these guys.
Thanks! Yeah it is pretty big but it's not too big for the crew cab. The next size down would have been a 12.2" but I figured that might be a little small for everyone in the backseat to have a good view. Honestly I think the 15" is right about perfect.

If you want to take a look at mine first hand shoot me a PM and we can meet up so you can look it over before dropping the cash down on it and to make sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.