Time for stereo upgrade. Which components for best sound/price? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Time for stereo upgrade. Which components for best sound/price?

It is time.... We have a 2010 Ford Edge that my wife drives all of the time. it has a great factory sound system. You can feel the music. I know to most of you experts, it isn't "great" sound in the Edge.
Last weekend, the wife and I went to the beach (Corova, NC - where you can drive on the beach). We had a sweet little convoy of superduty's and obs trucks. 1.5 hours of nice weather cruising down the road. Anyways, she said lets roll down the windows and turn the radio up.......HA!!!! She was very disappointed in the sound (or lack there of). So, father's day is coming and she wants to start my sound upgrade.
Here is the problem.... I have no clue as far as which components to get. I do know I will get a SPL2K box with pioneer speaker(s). just don't know which box i should get. We listen to everything from country to rock to rap (kids)... Single ported or dual sealed?
Replacing the factory speakers with.....polk audio, infinity kappas, idk.... Just want the best bang for the buck. Doesn't have to be competition quality, just great sounding. I have been looking around and there are 2-way, 3-way up to 5-way. Which ones to get????
Now on to the amp(s). Will I need an amp for the 4 speakers/tweeters and one for the sub(s).
The head unit.... Going with a double din but don't really need the nav (would be nice but not necessary). I like the Kenwood with garmin nav but not partial to anything...
I don't want to break the bank, just want a clean sound system.

Let's see some recommendations..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
basically ANYTHING you get will be better than the OEM. I have a JL audio component set, it sounds amazing. Id go with a name brand-alpine, JL, then jvc, sony if those are more economical. One of the biggest improvements will be made by changing the headunit to something a bit more substantial. Definately get something with RCA outputs, and if you can, run an external amp.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Premium Member

I plan on running some amps, subs, new hu etc.... Just am clueless as to what to get. I like doing my own work but don't want to buy too much of an amp when it is not needed for whatever speakers..... 1, 2, 4, 5 channel amps? capacitors? I am just lost. Guess I need to goto a car audio store and poke around, ask some questions.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
There are so many options. A 1 channel amp is primarily a sub amp, and can power 2 subs when run in series. I'd recomend a 4 channel amp, along with a single channel sub amp. Use the 4 channel amp to power the interior speakers (a component set would be the best choice, as it uses seperate speakers for highs and mids-2 and 3 way speakers are cheaper ways of doing the same thing, but they are a compromise IMO). The headunit is up to you, but if you intend to use an external 4 channel amp, you have to get a HU with audio out for both the front and rear speakers, as well as subs. That limits you to a midrange-high end unit. As for capacitors, they are not really needed. They are mainly used on vehicles where major draw occurs to prevent the lights from dimming when the bass hits. You have 2 batteries, I wouldn't bother, but you can get a farad cap (capacitor) cheap if you do as part of the amp wiring kit (walmart sells them)

If you get a component system, and a set of subs, along with a good head unit, you will not believe the quality of your audio.

In case you don't know, the number of channels an amp has refer to the amount of speaker outputs they have. Subs, not requiring a left or right, can be run off a 1 channel amp if wired in series.

Last edited by dazdillenger; 06-17-2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Well, I ordered some goodies....
Pioneer avh-p4300dvd head unit
PAC SWI-PC steering wheel control
Kenwood XR-5S 5-channel amp
4- Polk Audio MM571 5x7 2-way with crossovers

Now I just need to get ahold of SPL2K for the single ported box and order the Pioneer TS-SW3001S4 shallow mount sub.
Still need all the wiring and such and some misc junk. I have some leftover fatmat (from my son's truck) that I can put behind the 4 MM571s...
Can't wait for Stan (my UPS man) to show up...
Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

You only need one brand: Rockford Fosgate!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

I made my decisions from reviews and visiting a couple of audio shops. Granted the audio shops are going to push the products that they can make the most profit on, so I took their words with a grain of salt.

I could probably slap some Jensen speakers with an old Kraco cassette deck and it would sound better than stock.

We will see in about a week if I made the right decision....
Old 06-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Premium Member

Pioneer ts-sw3001s4 and the 12" ported SPL2K box ordered.....

Also ordered the pioneer back-up camera...

Can't wait to finally hear and feel the music...
Old 06-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I like the list. Seems you made some good choices. Just be sure when you do run your audio lines and power lines, do not run them together or side by side, a lot of times that will create interferance and give you a buzzing sound while you accelerate.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuzz78 View Post
You only need one brand: Rockford Fosgate!
Did you say that without laughing? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondsman View Post

I could probably slap some Jensen speakers with an old Kraco cassette deck and it would sound better than stock.
Man you just took me back in time with the Kraco comment!! I used to rock the Kraco, with a pioneer equalizer that looked like it had about 20 slide settings....OH YEAH!!! lol

I think that was right before my 12" M&M Godfather subs!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.