Viper 5901 installed but issue with RS - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Electronics Discussion TV's, Radios, everything electric and NON-Performance.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Viper 5901 installed but issue with RS

I had the viper 5901 installed yesterday at BestBuy. When I got home I tried the RS and it would start and run for about 15 seconds then quit, this would continue for 3 cycles then a message showed on my LCD remote saying that the remote start was off. I called the tech today and he said to bring it back he knew what was wrong. When I got there he said that after talking to tech support they said to "take out the tach option" and set the crank time higher. My question to him was how does the system know if the truck is started and his comment was that it was guessing. I have read many threads on here about hooking up the tach and am very concerned that the way they have set up the system it could damage the truck. Does anyone have any ideas? Will this damage my truck? Should I find someone another dealer to look at this?

Thanks for your help.

Forgot, this is on a '07 6.0 with keyless entry only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'll see if I can look up the tach later but the other way it's probably programmer is voltage sensing with a crank time. That is typically fine and won't hurt anything. They may have just tapped the wrong tach wire. U can't expect a whole lot from best buy.

Sent from my portable forum surfing device.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, I am starting to wish I had installed this myself. I let them install it so I could get a warranty but now I feel with the help from the folks on this forum I could have done this with out many headaches.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
u usually have to train the tach signal for the alarm. So it can learn what is 'normal'
Old 06-10-2011, 08:06 AM

The tach is a blue wire located in the customer access harness under the dash. The alarm wire is prple/white an should be connected to the blue tach wire. Look for that an test it with a digital multi meter. Ac voltage. Should go up as u rev like a tach. If it's hooked up should just need to be programmed but I don't see why they couldn't do it unless they got the wrong blue wire or just lazy.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Air Assault!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MPTonyT
Quote:
Originally Posted by belz View Post
The tach is a blue wire located in the customer access harness under the dash. The alarm wire is prple/white an should be connected to the blue tach wire. Look for that an test it with a digital multi meter. Ac voltage. Should go up as u rev like a tach. If it's hooked up should just need to be programmed but I don't see why they couldn't do it unless they got the wrong blue wire or just lazy.

ACTUALLY......

The Tach wire on this vehicle is Green with a white stripe. It will end with a small piece of heat shrink. It is going to be behind the fuse panel and it will cone out of the end of a loomed up wire. Compu-Tech says this:

"Look below the relay box under the dash for a large loomed harness. There are some wires taped to the harness terminated with heat shrink tubing. You will find the green/white among these wires."

The Green/White will be in the same location that you would normally find the high idle wires.

I have always used this module and I personally have a 5901 in my vehicle using that wire. I did have the lengthen the crank time to the max as well but it never grinds the starter due to not knowing its started.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

belz, thanks for the info. Did they change the color of the tach wire because i was reading another thread that said it should be green/white (or was it white/green)? Not sure what year truck they were talking about.
Have you guys bought one of the bitwriters and done your own?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Air Assault!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MPTonyT
While the bit writer makes the process much easier it is not needed to perform the install. I've gotten so used to the programming table that its almost easier for me to program them using the valet switch located on the antenna.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:32 PM

Nope. That's for an 08. I thought it was an 08 for some reason. I saw u put the year when I read it the first time but fumbled the info in my head. I do apologize.

The point of connecting the tach is to not use crank time. It will crank until it senses the programmed or learned tach signal. That is the best route to go especially if u have a winter since crank times typically vary from hot to cold weather.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

On my 5701, I had to set the jumper to low. Then change the setting to voltage sense. You can increase the crank time because our trucks have an antigrind feature that won't engage the starter if it is running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.